Talk

Advanced search

The Art of the Brick Lego Exhibition - would you recommend?

(18 Posts)
574ejones Mon 10-Nov-14 07:01:14

I am off to London next weekend and am really tempted to see this in Brick Lane. However, it is really pricey. Have you been and if so, is it worth it? Thanks

Cric Mon 10-Nov-14 07:08:12

I haven't but my friend did and said it was brilliant.

Eastpoint Mon 10-Nov-14 07:15:16

We went & thought it was dreadful

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 10-Nov-14 07:18:12

We absolutely loved it. The exhibition was fab, and we went first thing, so the play area at the end was very quiet, and the kids spent ages making models and playing the video game.

Eastpoint Mon 10-Nov-14 07:20:04

In the London or UK section (we went 6 weeks ago) there is a phone box and a model of the Beatles with yesterday above it & then there's a model of One Direction with today above them.

There are a few things which are ok but overall I would liken it more to the glittery stuff on facebook than art. It is a traveling exhibition put on by the man who made the models so it isn't curated or edited in anyway. There are inspirational quotes written in white on black signed by him on the walls if you like that sort of thing.

574ejones Mon 10-Nov-14 08:15:10

Oh brilliant, thanks for the feedback. I may give it a miss then.

MarshaBrady Mon 10-Nov-14 08:16:47

It's good for the dc.

Tigresswoods Thu 20-Nov-14 20:34:22

Play area at the end? That sounds good. We're biked for this weekend grin

FishWithABicycle Thu 20-Nov-14 21:00:46

It's really not all that.
It's obviously really impressive in places, but very little real artistic merit. It all made sense with the documentary video in which the chap explained how he'd made a shitload of money in a topflight career and then when he had more money than he could ever spend took to making sculpture out of Lego. If he'd ever been to art college he might have learned to make art that has a statement a little bit more meaningful than "you know, I sometimes feel like I'm a different person on the inside than I am on the outside" which is literally as deep as it gets.
If you don't care about meaningful art and just want to see a 9ft high t-rex made of Lego enough to part with over £40 for the privilege, then go for it.

Eastpoint Fri 21-Nov-14 00:24:22

Glad it wasn't just us Fish. DS14 was appalled in the way only a teenage boy who has been dragged across London on a free day can be. He used to love the models at Legoland when he was little which is why we went.

BiscuitMillionaire Fri 21-Nov-14 00:34:48

We enjoyed it when we saw it in Singapore a couple of years ago. But we're not intellectual snobs.

Tigresswoods Sat 22-Nov-14 22:13:53

Went today. Really interesting & a good hour of entertainment. It is first & foremost art so don't consider it a Lego thing predominantly.
However at the end there's tables full of lego to play with. Plus a Duplo area for littlies too.

Oh & the obligatory gift shop of course.

I enjoyed it for the whole art thing & DS (4) enjoyed seeing a lot of Lego.

Dancergirl Thu 04-Dec-14 15:00:23

Why eastpoint?

Eastpoint Thu 04-Dec-14 16:11:25

Because if he wants to look at Van Goghs he'll go to a gallery & see the real thing, he has zero interest in one direction or the Beatles. It's now 2 months since we went, I've said we didn't enjoy it, been accused of being an intellectual snob - go if you want - I booked it when it was first announced as I thought it would be good. Lots of people appear to have liked it.

Dancergirl Thu 04-Dec-14 23:51:56

Hmm, I can't decide if it's worth the time and expense. If there anything else to do nearby to make a day of it?

Eastpoint Fri 05-Dec-14 05:59:41

I just lost a lovely long post detailing great things nearby with links but a summary is Geffrye Museum (free), walk to Spitalfields Market for a mooch/lunch or have lunch in Brick Lane, walk to the bottom of Brick Lane, turn right visit Whitechapel Gallery's Richard Tuttle exhibition (free) hop on tube next door then go to Tate Modern & see Richard Tuttle installation in the Turbine Hall. All museums/exhibitions free. Lego exhibition optional as you walk from Spitalfields down Brick Lane. The Whitechapel Gallery is closed on Mondays.

Bowlersarm Fri 05-Dec-14 06:13:27

I've been, and very neutral about it. There must be dozens of better exhibitions around. Once we had admired the first few exhibits we glazed over a bit with the rest.

It's clever, but not interesting and varied enough for me.

Footle Fri 05-Dec-14 06:42:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now