Talk

Advanced search

Days out ideas near Cambridge.

(21 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Mar-14 17:46:23

Staying near Wicken for the Easter weekend as we fancy going to the nature reserve there. Me, 13yo dd and the dog. We'd be ok leaving the dog for a couple of hours in the car (weather depending) but can't go anywhere which would mean leaving him all day.

Stuff we like, nice places to go for a walk, nature type stuff, animal stuff, nice towns to have a mooch round (can take it turns holding the dog outside shops), dd likes big garden centres, hmm. I'm less keen on garden centres. grin

Maybe some national trust places??? Dd's not keen on museums, so would have to be something very good.

AnonymousBird Mon 24-Mar-14 18:40:35

Audley End House? Near Saffron Walden. It's English Heritage. The town is nice too for a bit of a potter.

Ely is ok, bit up and down but amazing Cathedral.

GingerMaman Mon 24-Mar-14 18:42:15

There's an abbey just outside of Cambridge, that's lovely.

Of course Cambridge itself, go on a bus tour.

Cream tea and scones at The Orchard.

GingerMaman Mon 24-Mar-14 18:43:00

There's botanic gardens in Cambridge. Parking is a bit of nightmare, but on Sunday streets nearby should be free.

Uptheanty Mon 24-Mar-14 18:44:36

Bewilderwood!!

Spero Mon 24-Mar-14 18:47:20

Wimpole Hall Farm ? I think - ages since I've been. Nice place to walk around. Cambridge definitely worth a wander about.

BellaVida Mon 24-Mar-14 18:47:30

Wimpole Hall and farm is National Trust. It's lambing season and there will be Easter activities going on as well.

RalphRecklessCardew Mon 24-Mar-14 19:06:41

Kettle's Yard (check opening times). It is sort of a museum, but it used to be someone's house and is the most peaceful and beautiful place on earth.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Mar-14 19:10:21

Cambridge might me nice. Dogs aren't allowed in the gardens but amazingly Google reckons they're allowed in the punts! Which would be good.

Whimpole Farm looks great and the place at Saffron Waldon looks nice as well. Will have to work out how far away Saffron Waldon is but doesn't look too far.

Thanks.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Mar-14 19:11:12

Meant to say that we've been to Bewilderwood twice.

I've also been to Kettles Yard (and the Fitzwilliam).

SauceForTheGander Mon 24-Mar-14 21:31:30

Local - Cambridge

And a good Cambridgeshire site too which would have Saffron Walden stuff etc.

Pop in for a cuppa brew

Hi,

Have a look at; local.mumsnet.com/cambridgeshire/things-to-do & for more cambridge centric go to local.mumsnet.com/cambridge/things-to-do
There's loads of nature reserves & parks, zoos & places to visit. If you do decide to go to Ramsey abbey there's a great new milkshake bar that's just opened

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Mar-14 22:20:47

Thanks, I always forget the local pages.

Hamerton zoo looks nice for a couple of hours.

Hamerton a lovely my dd likes feeding the goats & looking at the scruffy camels.
It's well worth checking the local pages as they have competitions you might win something to do over the weekend

https://www.facebook.com/milkshakejunction

MrsDandBaby Tue 25-Mar-14 07:08:44

Science museum at Jesus college - small but very interactive
Church farm ardeley - nice for a free wander round, v nice food

MrsDandBaby Tue 25-Mar-14 07:09:14

Science museum at Jesus college - small but very interactive
Church farm ardeley - nice for a free wander round, v nice food

BlueChampagne Wed 26-Mar-14 15:23:54

Ely cathedral (and mooching). Peacocks tea room by the river is pleasant.
Angesey Abbey (NT)
Wimpole Hall - be aware that even members have to pay for the Home Farm because it's a rare breeds centre.
National Stud at Newmarket

VivaLeBeaver Wed 26-Mar-14 16:20:54

Is Ely nice for shopping? I'm guessing not big shops but is it a nice market town type place? I always imagine it a bit run down but not sure why.

BlueChampagne Thu 27-Mar-14 13:19:00

Never had the chance to go shopping in Ely so can't help. Hopefully someone else can - again try the Local section.

GingerMaman Thu 27-Mar-14 14:48:55

Ely town centre is very small, not all that for shopping at all. There is really nice independent book shop though. But other than that, you are really better off going to Lion Yard in Cambridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now