Talk

Advanced search

How do I keep a 2 year old and 9 month old occupied on beach holiday??

(7 Posts)
thechocolatemonster Mon 05-Jun-06 09:57:09

Going on holiday for two weeks to Brittany. We're taking the car so can pack lots of stuff. Any recommendations on keeping my two kids occupied would be great. My two year old loves colouring and playdo - but if you have any recommendations on outdoor/pool/beach toys and games that will keep her occupied - then I'd LOVE to hear them.

Many thanks,
Jess

Medulla Mon 05-Jun-06 10:02:58

We live in Cyprus and have DD3 and DS 11months and as you can imagine we spend a lot of time on the beach. My DD will spend ages building sand castles, so lots of buckets spades, jelly molds and flags. Pick a pitch not too far from the sea and she will happily go and fill her bucket with water over and over again. 11 month old loves to feel the sand but the main concern with him is keeping him in the shade. The half tents are a great investment, also handy if it is a bit of a windy day. I usually just take his normal baby toys and combine them with a bit of sand play. He hates the sea though (even after 6 months of living here!), I think it is the noise and the temp!!!

LIZS Mon 05-Jun-06 10:04:12

Small buckets/stacking cups to pour and sieve the water and sand (Ikea did some really cheap ones or like these at elc ), inflatable balls and small, shallow pool they can splash in, usual bucket, spade and rake.

Mum2Ela Mon 05-Jun-06 10:08:38

Take a cheap, small paddling pool for the baby to sit in with a little bit of water and some toys. Keeps them out of mischief and also keeps them cool at the same time.

I picked a small paddling pool up in Tesco last year for about £5.

Also, if by the pool, paint brushes for fab for water painting on the side of the pool.

jenkel Mon 05-Jun-06 12:18:35

The beach and lots of little containers.

We went to Australia with a 2 1/2 year old and a 7 month old and they just loved the sea.

honeybunny Mon 05-Jun-06 14:33:35

Everyone else has mentioned all the things I was thinking about. Stacking cups/pouring cups, small paddling pool, paintbrushes....all excellent for keeping smalls occupied. My 2 boys loved building roads and towns for their dinky toys in the sand. Aquadraw mats are good too. We also took train track and a couple of trains for indoor play as well. Stickerbooks for the journey (plus a hidden sticker book for the return journey).

sharry Mon 05-Jun-06 20:58:52

Some of these might be usful.... we have used them all at different stages. Play silly games like looking carefully at lapping waves edge of the sea for Nemo Dory and watch out for Bruce. Beach combing for pirates treasure - hide and seek in the sand drawing in the sand with sticks etc making dinners from sand water shells whatever you can find. Ping pong balls float, so we found them useful both in the sea and bucket to watch. The usual bubbles and balloons. Dry paint brush comes in handy to dust off sand from tiny feet. For the journey tub of playdough with things hidden in to pull out small bit of bubble wrap to pop small jigsaw in sandwich bag (keeps it together) new picture book, lacing, plenty of travel wipes and tissues sippy cup to sip when landing and take off to help with cabin pressure!
Have fun and enjoy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: