Talk

Advanced search

Twycross Zoo or Whipsnade Zoo..which to go to

(13 Posts)
zippitippitoes Mon 29-May-06 12:45:49

...any body been?

TwoToTango Mon 29-May-06 12:54:10

Went to Twycross zoo last year - fantastic day - the animals are in really big enclosures - elephant one is really good. There is a fair and a little train to go on. Loads to do, we ate in the cafe but lots of places to sit and have a picnic. Really good day out - ds can't wait to go again

leggymamba Mon 29-May-06 13:27:37

We went to twycross last year and sorry but really didn't like it. We went to Chester a few months before and I felt that twycross seemed really manky in comparison. I thought the animals all looked fed up and cages were small with not much for them to do. DD also took a dislike to monkeys and screamed everytime she saw one - Twycross is very monkey based! A good time was not had!

Chester Zoo was lovely though.

studentmum1 Mon 29-May-06 13:32:59

we visited whipsnade yesterday and i live just down the road from twycross so i've been twycross loads too! out of the two, whipsnade wins hands down! it was brilliant, we had a great day out. it is so big! only down side is we didn't get to see everything because the toddlers wern;t fast enuf!!! we only go twycross because its so close but it is tiny in comparison and is more a half day activity than a whole day! also twycross pretty much has monkeys and not much else! what little else they do have appears to be cramped in. the lions and leopard are in very small enclosures and we felt ever so sorry for them! after my little ramble there... whipsnade definatly!!!

edam Mon 29-May-06 14:02:23

We live near Whipsnade so go there often. Think it's quite good - they have smaller animals like wallabies and mara hopping around freely which always keeps ds entertained. And you often see the elephants out for a walk - we've seen them very close up every time we've been (with keepers, obviously). Little steam railway and open top bus if the kids get tired walking round (too big to walk round the whole place in one day). They usually have falconry displays, feeding the sealions and stuff like that. Cafe is usual kids' attraction rubbish and not sure the tiger enclosure is big enough (although what do I know?) but those are the only downsides I can think of.

studentmum1 Mon 29-May-06 14:18:24

i thought the tiger enclosure was massive! ha ha twycross is less than a quarter of the size
!

Mercy Mon 29-May-06 15:09:36

Never been to Twycross but Whipsnade is really good.

Don't know where you are but can recommend the Cotswold Wildlife Park. We went earlier this year and it was really good.

Gingerbear Mon 29-May-06 15:12:29

Chester Zoo is great. (Not much help I know) Wipsnade - not been for years, but it was good last time we were there.

zippitippitoes Mon 29-May-06 15:31:28

I'm thinking we might go to Cotswold Wildlife Park as dgs is only two, just had a look at the website and it looks nice. It is for my birthday treat but it's also the nearest I think. Whipsnade is the furthest but it looked better online than Twycross. Dp wants monkeys but there are a few at the wildlife park.

neena28 Mon 29-May-06 15:39:48

Whipsnade every time.

Agree with others that Twycross is a bit manky. We are closer to twycross but would rather go to Whipsnade.

What about Woburn Abbey? We've had some lovely days there?

If you're in Leicestershire Twin Lakes at Melton Mowbray is fab too. A little run down in a couple of places but my ds's favourite ploace in the world. (he's 5)

Have a great though and hope the weather is nice for you!

neena28 Mon 29-May-06 15:42:56

Where are you zippitippitoes?

We are in LE9 if that means anything to you and take the kids out quite a lot as it's often easier than staying home as they are quite a way apart in age. DSD is 11, ds is 5 and dd is 10 months.

Let me know if you want any other comments re places in Leicestershire, warwickshire or northamptonshire reckon we've done a fair few now!

studentmum1 Mon 29-May-06 15:50:12

ditto LE9!!!

TwoToTango Mon 29-May-06 17:24:55

Oh dear - looks like i'm the minority. I haven't been to Whipsnade but I didn't think Twycross was manky though, perhaps thats because I was comparing it with Dudley Zoo!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: