Talk

Advanced search

Days out recommendations - Isle of Wight

(14 Posts)
Madmog Tue 21-May-13 10:59:50

Can anyone recommend any good places to visit on the Isle of Wight. We have two children aged 9 and 11 to occupy! We like most things, animals, fun, beaches, pottering around shops, eating out.

Madmog Wed 22-May-13 13:32:13

Anyone?

xyx Thu 23-May-13 20:33:28

Robin Hill Country Park - they are at the upper age limit though. Near Amazon World which we liked, kids same age.

Lottie4 Thu 23-May-13 21:17:22

Thank you for your reply. Robin Hill seem to have a sister park, Blackgang Chine - is this for the same age group or more suitable for older ones?

captainbarnacle Thu 23-May-13 21:18:26

Blackgang is for younger ones.

captainbarnacle Thu 23-May-13 21:22:15

Best thing about the island is beaches, walking on the Downs, pottering around (esp the west half of the island). Owl and monkey haven is good but not a full day out. We love Blackgang but mine are 6, 4, 2. Donkey sanctuary in Wroxall is free. Seaview Wildlife is best animal day out. Needles Park and Alum Bay and the chair lift. Osborne House.

Really, best thing is to drive about and stop when you find somewhere to explore. The joy is that it's an island - to spend entire days at particular sites kind of means you could be anywhere.

xyx Thu 23-May-13 21:34:11

Agree that Blackgang is for the younger ones - a bit younger than 11 imo. There's a place near East Cowes that does organised tree climbing, sorry cant remember name, we never got there on the end, as time ran out. Phone first, they'll book you in, can't just show up. Recommended by a friend who lives near there. Good luck in finding that one, when you get there you will probably see flyers for it.

captainbarnacle Thu 23-May-13 21:42:04

Good leaf. Also there is wight zorb for zorbing down the hills, if still going.

AprilFoolishness Thu 23-May-13 21:46:58

Owl and monkey sanctuary, good adventure playground

Sea view wildlife experience is supposed to be good - although we've never made it.

To be honest best days out at that age probably involve a beach, kite and ice cream!

AprilFoolishness Thu 23-May-13 21:48:06

Cross posts with barnacle!

captainbarnacle Thu 23-May-13 21:51:23

Good to know I'm on the right lines!

Madmog Fri 24-May-13 10:17:58

Thanks for your replies, am about to check out! Weather doesn't look good next week, so fingers crossed get to do some of the outdoor stuff!!

Seeline Fri 24-May-13 10:26:30

Carisbrooke Castle is always a favourite with mine, as is the Steam Train. Also recommend Seaview Wildlife. The Roman Villa at Brading is really good although probably a half day.

captainbarnacle Sat 25-May-13 18:55:45

My BIL manages the Villa - nice cafe. I agree that Seaview Wildlife is a good day out - feeding penguins and wallabies a highlight. You could always get one of the open topped buses and take a trip around the island too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now