Talk

Advanced search

London Restaurant Suggestion Needed Please

(13 Posts)
Earlybird Tue 23-May-06 14:21:17

I've been asked to book a table at an Indian restaurant in central London (zone 1) for some people visiting from America. Not looking for the priciest expense account place, but can't be a down-at-heel local either. Just want some really good food in a pleasant setting. Any suggestions?

meowmix Tue 23-May-06 14:22:19

Veeraswamy or Chutney Mary. Or La Porte Des Indes (Bryanston St?). All have websites I think.

Earlybird Tue 23-May-06 14:25:15

Thought about Chutney Mary, but do you think it will be swamped/impossible to get to this week due to Chelsea Flower show?

Is Veeraswamy the one on Regent Street? Is it still open? Haven't been there in ages - have you, and is the food still good?

Twiglett Tue 23-May-06 14:26:41

There's an Indian restaurant behind Pont de la Tour .. near Tower Bridge .. can't remember the name offhand though

meowmix Tue 23-May-06 14:28:20

I haven't been there but did a press dinner there about 4 weeks ago and it was great apptly. La Porte is also v good food but the decor is quite something (indoor waterfall anyone?). Chutney should be ok, it wasn't too bad this time last year

Sarkels in Southfields (SW18) is one of the best ever but prob too far out of town?

fyi I don't spend all my time in curry houses!

suejonez Tue 23-May-06 14:33:54

Tamarind in Mayfair is great but I can't remember the prices. I think it has a michelin star now so may be pricy. Red Fort in Soho is also very nice.

oranges Tue 23-May-06 14:43:50

Punjab on Shafesbury Avenue - some imaginative dishes alongside normal Indian food, good value and decor, and central location

Earlybird Tue 23-May-06 14:44:59

Sue, would love to try it someday, but my impression is that Tamarind is very pricey.

meowmix - sounds as if you know your Indian restaurants! Haven't been to La Port Des Indes in a long time (I did a conference dinner there for visiting delegates), but my impression was that the decor was much more impressive than the food. Or was I simply distracted by being there in work mode? Nice to know that Veeraswamy is still good. It's a beautiful room.

Is Bombay Brasserie for tourists only? Anyone been to the one in Victoria (stone's throw from Buck Palace) called Quilon? Is Cinammon Club Indian?

Miriam2 Tue 23-May-06 14:47:47

Yes Cinnamon Club is very very nice Indian, quite expensive but gorgeous setting

annh Tue 23-May-06 14:51:04

Cinnamon Club IS Indian but also pricey, have only been there for lunch when it is full of businessy types on expense accounts. Food is wonderful but if your friends are paying themselves, maybe not the best place to go. Mint Leaf on Piccadilly is also fun, it's at basement level so better in the evening. There, I have only eaten the pre-theatre menu which I think you can order up to 7 p.m., iirc £15 for two courses and a glass of wine. The food is v-good and each of the main courses came with a side dish so ample food for the money. They also have a very long bar which serves great cocktails.

Bink Tue 23-May-06 15:01:57

Our favourite always used to be Malabar, tucked away behind Notting Hill Gate - it's a co-operative and sophisticated without being fussy or showy (at all - quite the opposite). It used to have one of those red markers in the Michelin guide that means "good food at modest prices" - my favourite category. Not sure if it still does. Will try & find a link.

Haven't been for ages because the children love Yo Sushi so much we're not allowed to want to go elsewhere.

Carmenere Tue 23-May-06 15:04:29

Masala Zone in Soho off Wardour Street I think, if that makes sense is lovely, modern and reasonable.

Davros Thu 25-May-06 20:45:23

Massala Zone is in Marshall Street/Broadwick St, just near Carnaby St.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: