Talk

Advanced search

Going to Kirkcudbright for Whit and the forcast's for rain...

(20 Posts)
Orinoco Fri 19-May-06 21:39:04

Message withdrawn

EmmyLou Fri 19-May-06 22:15:16

My kids used to love Kirkudbright Wildlife Park (I think it has changed owners and haven't been for a couple of years) but they used to have wildlife handling sessions including Roxy the ferret. My Mum lives in New Abbey which has a nice costume museum and on the road to Dumfries is Mabie Farm Park - some indoor ride on toys/bouncy castles and feeding animals plus outdoor stuff. Mabie Forest also has paths suitable for a nice walk with a 3 wheel buggy. But this is all nearer Dumfries which might be too far out of your way. With children of 5 and 2 you might be better off braving the rain and taking waterproof dungarees etc and a flask (of something warm and/or strong) and heading for the beach. You can also watch the boats in KKBright, but haven't done much there except wildlife park so can't advise! Rockcliffe is lovely but Southerness is HIDEOUS.

EmmyLou Fri 19-May-06 22:16:43

My kids used to love Kirkcudbright Wildlife Park (I think it has changed owners and haven't been for a couple of years) but they used to have wildlife handling sessions including Roxy the ferret. My Mum lives in New Abbey which has a nice costume museum and on the road to Dumfries is Mabie Farm Park - some indoor ride on toys/bouncy castles and feeding animals plus outdoor stuff. Mabie Forest also has paths suitable for a nice walk with a 3 wheel buggy. But this is all nearer Dumfries which might be too far out of your way. With children of 5 and 2 you might be better off braving the rain and taking waterproof dungarees etc and a flask (of something warm and/or strong) and heading for the beach. You can also watch the boats in Kirkcudbright, but haven't done much there except wildlife park so can't advise! Rockcliffe is lovely but Southerness is HIDEOUS.

EmmyLou Fri 19-May-06 22:18:43

Sorry - had to re-post as could hear my Mother in my head tutting as I'd mis spelt KIRKCUDBRIGHT (I was a proof reader before children)

Orinoco Fri 19-May-06 22:19:44

Message withdrawn

winniewoo Sat 20-May-06 08:20:23

Hi..There is a big ice cream place with walks, huge adventure playground and a straw barn which is open and you can picnic there and kids can play. You can go on farm tour...You will love it. head for Gatehouse of Fleet and the place is called Cream O Galloway. Don't mis it! Mabie FArm PArk near Dumfries is v good too!
Also Dalscone Soft play area is at Dumfries with outside play area. Wildlife park at Kbt went downhill but my friend went the other day and said it was great. Beaches are also great bet. Let me know if you any more info..great to have someone coming to my neck of woods!!

Orinoco Sat 20-May-06 21:00:13

Message withdrawn

winniewoo Sun 21-May-06 08:13:12

Go to Cream of Galloway if it rains or not..it's great. The straw barn is all under cover if it does and lots to do outside when not raining. It's cheap aswell!

winniewoo Sun 21-May-06 08:14:21

Golly..you'd think i own this place ramming it down your throat!!! Don't mean ro be so forceful!

Orinoco Sun 21-May-06 22:04:06

Message withdrawn

winniewoo Mon 22-May-06 07:06:32

Dumfries for the cinema and there is an old fashioned cinema in Newton Stewart but most of the films are classic oldies..you might strike lucky though..

Frizbe Mon 22-May-06 08:02:29

There's Culzeaon (sp?) Castle up the road castle

and there's a hydro electric thing you can do nearby

tissy Mon 22-May-06 08:32:41

Culzean is great, but it's not "just up the road"- I would allow for a couple of hours' drive from Kirkcudbright- the road is slow and windy most of the way!

winniewoo Mon 22-May-06 21:37:15

Threave castle is good..nearby in Castle Douglas..and Tongland Family golf centre is just outside kirkcudbright. Culzean is a FULL day trip..fantastic is you are closer but plenty to see and do nearby to kirkcudbright.

Orinoco Mon 22-May-06 22:49:23

Message withdrawn

winniewoo Tue 23-May-06 07:09:06

Is it this weekend you are coming? if so, Castle Douglas has the annual Food Town day where there are local foodie shops displaying stuff.. Pig roasts, homemade burgers etc..also bouncy castles for the kids and 20 mins up at park might be ok. Threave castle is great..it's a short walk then a man will take you over in a boat (my kids love that)and a wander round the castlw which is a ruin. Good for an hour or so.
Defo..Cream and Galloway and a trip to Mabie Farm Park in dUmfries the kids would love but would be good perhaps on the way away.saves the journey to and fro to Dumfries. The schools are not off up here so not a not of pre planned stuff on for the kids. Have fun!

Orinoco Tue 23-May-06 20:29:32

Message withdrawn

winniewoo Wed 24-May-06 07:29:29

Not great! Remember the wellies and fleeces. At least if you prepared for rain...sunshine will be a bonus!

Orinoco Wed 24-May-06 12:20:52

Message withdrawn

Orinoco Wed 24-May-06 21:41:50

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: