Talk

Advanced search

Bath Christmas Market

(5 Posts)
onwardandupwards Sat 22-Oct-11 13:29:42

Has anyone been before and is it worth an hours train journey?

sassyTHEFIRST Sat 22-Oct-11 13:33:20

Went last year. It was nice - about 100 stalls iirc; lots of atmosphere, not that impressed with the value of the things there but it was a good place to find things you wouldn't get elsewhere. I'd go again, just for the atmosphere.

Elizadoesdolittle Sat 22-Oct-11 13:37:52

I love Bath and try and go there round Christmas time but I do have family there so visit them at the same time. The market is very sweet but it's not that impressive. The stalls get quite a bit samey with lots of them selling the same type of thing (hand made stuff, crafts, food). And if you go on a weekend it can get very busy. Last year I had to pretty much give up as I had a pushchair too and I couldn't get to the stalls. Oh and it had been snowing so that didn't help smile I love it but would I spend an hour travelling just for the market, probably not, but then there is much more to see in Bath than just the market. I'd go to Bath for the day, market or no market. Depends on what exactly you are looking to get out of the trip.

onwardandupwards Sat 22-Oct-11 13:42:29

Am taking my mum and oldest dd. Just thought it looked nice for a day out will look round Bath as well then, thank u all!

Perriwinkle Sun 23-Oct-11 20:29:42

I went last year but didn't go to Bath specifically for the market.

I went during the day, so admittedly there may well have been more atmosphere if it'd been dark, but I must say I wasn't overly wowed by it. Many of the stalls seemed to be in garden sheds and the stuff on sale was vastly overpriced. Lots of crafty sort of stuff - all the sort of stuff you'd briefly glance at and then move on if you ask me. I didn't buy anything apart from some of those hot nuts you get with a variety of flavourings - and they cost an arm and a leg! I was in and out of there in about half an hour.

Definitely not worth spending an hour on the train for IMHO.

However, I haven't been to any other Christmas markets anywhere so I have nothing to compare the one in Bath to.

Maybe they're all as disappointing as that one...? I think they're all a gimicy thing so the prices are all ramped up and I can't believe that anyone does their Christmas shopping there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now