Talk

Advanced search

Half term in Durham area with older children (9 - 14): ideas for days out please

(14 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Sat 22-Oct-11 08:40:51

regular visitors to the area, so been to e.g. Beamish, DLI, various Newcastle Museums; Hamsterley Forest; up to Alnwick Castle; Holy Island etc. Will probably go bowling and to cinema at some point, and for a bracing walk at the coast. Anyone know of any specific things on over half term or places to visit that would be good for mixed age group(sorry in advance if I say "been there" but too many places visited already to list them all, and whatever you write might help others looking at this thread). Would also prefer not to drive too far this time as I need a rest, say within 20 miles radius of Durham?

Boys of 9 & 13; Girl 14

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 22-Oct-11 20:28:02

Cragside has a spooky walk on. Bowes Museum has quite a bit of stuff on too.
Have you been round the cathedral?

lilolilmanchester Sat 22-Oct-11 21:38:24

Hi & thanks KDDD.... went to Bowes about this time last year... have been round Cathedral many, many times but am thinking it's a few years since the children went, and were young enough to have forgotten, so might do that - thanks. Cragside another good idea. MN is amazing!!

stickylittlefingers Sat 22-Oct-11 21:44:10

hiya - Durham is having a food weekend. It was packed today - but the curry was yummy!

Would the art at the Baltic appeal? (the cafe and restaurants are good, anyway, and the view from the top is fab. I wasn't really there for the Art wink)

lilolilmanchester Sat 22-Oct-11 21:49:50

hi Sticky, won't be there til Monday afternoon, so will miss the weekend.
Where's the Baltic (lazy emoticon)?? I and the other females would probably try & enjoy anything, it's what the 9 & 13 year old boys would make of it??? (and poss a male adult too, depending on the day)

An0therName Sat 22-Oct-11 21:59:05

Baltic - in gateshead -depend what exhibitions they have one
if you havn't been to seven stories in newcastle well worth it
railway musuem at shildon?
could get the train to york - 40 mins - loads to do there
gibside quite a bit nearer than cragside

Segedunum if you like romans
and the durham university musueum often have things on at half term

stickylittlefingers Sat 22-Oct-11 22:00:44

the Baltic's on the Quays in Gateshead (just next to the Sage). Hang on and I'll try to get a linkie...

www.balticmill.com/

Beamish is doing Halloween stuff too. Seems like everywhere is [bored of Halloween already emoticon]

A tip if you go shopping in Newcastle - brunch in Cafe 21 in Fenwicks is A-maz-ing. I take everyone there and they all love it (or maybe they don't but I'm too busy filling my face to notice wink) I recommend the ricotta pancakes and the basket of bread to share. It's so yummy. Yeah I'll shut up about it now.

If you're bored of the beach at Bamburgh, I recommend Druridge bay. They have great dune runs which I'm sure your DC will appreciate!

Have you had an explore of the Tyne Valley? It's pretty and some nice walks. Also if they like ice cream www.wheelbirks.co.uk/ will be a winner.

stickylittlefingers Sat 22-Oct-11 22:03:43

oh yes - at Gibside they have a new adventure playground. Not sure if a 13 year old will be too grand for such things, but it was hard to get my two away from it when we were there last.

stickylittlefingers Sat 22-Oct-11 22:05:49

Oh yes, if they're into the locomotives, Shildon will be good, and there's other bits of it at Darlington and York.

lilolilmanchester Sat 22-Oct-11 22:13:37

was a bit hmm about Shildon, having had relatives there as a child... then realise that these children have never been so thanks, the boys would love it. Done Beamish to death, but will take a look at Gibside, Cragside, Druridge, Tyne Valley etc. Did 7 stories last time we were up , won't be travelling as far as York as we will have travelled far enough to get to durham in the first place.. thank you you wonderful people... not just me deciding what we do so would be happy to hear other ideas to throw into the pot.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 23-Oct-11 09:06:35

lilolil if you do want to go to the cathedral let me know. My dad is a steward and will show you round if you like? Don't worry he's not fusty!

lilolilmanchester Sun 23-Oct-11 15:55:55

that's a kind offer, thanks, will let you know if we are going to the Cathedral. LOL at turning up on spec and saying to some random steward saying "are you KenDoddsDadsDog's Dad?!"

Indith Sun 23-Oct-11 16:02:44

There is a science thing in Durham over half term www.dur.ac.uk/celebrate.science/ which is usually pretty good fun. Generally there is stuff for a wide age range.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 23-Oct-11 16:24:40

I will find out when he's on duty this week. He would know exactly what you meant if it was him,as he taught me the tongue twister when I was little ! But think some of the ancient serious ones would have you arrested!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now