Talk

Advanced search

anyone who has been to Ironbridge Gorge, would you be kind enough to wander in here?

(13 Posts)
MrsShrekTheThird Fri 21-Oct-11 23:06:26

Going there next week, taking ds1 almost 11 who the trip is for (industry geek, Brunel is his hero!!), ds2 who's 8 and dd is 5. They all like museums, but out of the ten available (we're also likely to get passport ticket for the year) which one[s] would anyone suggest to do first / do in October [obv potentially cold and wet] / are the most interesting to do?
TIA smile

Himalaya Fri 21-Oct-11 23:19:36

Ironbridge is fab. Most fun by far is the victorian village (Blists Hill) - go along in long skirts,shawl, mob cap etc.. britches and waistcoat etc.. if you and your kids like dressing up. can easily spend 1/2 a day there. Go to the school house and other role play sessions.

I think there is a hands on science museum that is good for kids. Not sure about the rest. I do remember the tile museum was quite dry - only for real tile enthusiasts grin

Don't miss the bridge (there is a little museum there).

I wouldn't try to get full 'value for money' out of the passport. Better to have a less stressful day and go to those main museums.

Himalaya Fri 21-Oct-11 23:25:26

'enginuity' - is the hands on one. The usual science musuem hands on exhibits - always fun, and good if it's raining. Go to Blists Hill when it's dry.

superdragonmama Fri 21-Oct-11 23:28:59

The 'hands on' museum is called Enginuity. It's fab.

Agree with Himalaya about going here, and Blist's Hill, with kids, they are both fab, loads to do, get there nice and early smile

Blist's Hill has big town, schoolroom, good long walk to the Hay Incline Plain, masses to see and do - need to wrap up for the outdoor bits. Enginuity is all indoors.

bigTillyMint Sat 22-Oct-11 13:18:44

We went there!

Blists Hill was really good - spent ages there, went in every shop and watched everything going on!

The science museum was good too - very hands on, and especially interesting for the more mathematically / engineering minded.

We went to the bridge for a walk too. Managed it all in a busy daysmile

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 22-Oct-11 22:26:29

crikey, in one day??? shock
we are going at least twice on this trip, then again next year at whit or summer. I did fancy the victorian street but wanted reasurance some of your opinions first smile Fantastic tips, enginuity sounds fantastic, maybe will do that and the bridge on one day. really can't wait now! Huge thank you for the help!

craftyknickers Sat 22-Oct-11 22:30:39

I live near Ironbridge so have been many many times to the museums, definatley go to Blists Hill.

Enginuity is reallly good too.

If you have time take a look around the bridge, lots of nice cafe's and shops.

A general lovely place to visit.

Have lots of fun smile

Sinkingfeeling Sat 22-Oct-11 22:38:38

Blist's Hill definitely number 1, and Enginuity is good too. We also enjoyed the Tile Museum and they run tile decorating workshops on certain days too - worth checking in advance.

jicky Sat 22-Oct-11 22:48:30

My dc really liked the tar tunnel - more than Blists Hill and were also impressed by the size of the blast furnaces In the museum of iron.

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 22-Oct-11 22:54:28

oooohh, all sounds so good - and thanks for tip to check the website for events, will do it now.
It will be a great 'taste' and we will definitely be going back to do it all over the next year.

Himalaya Sun 23-Oct-11 08:33:58

Are you going to dress up then ?!?

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 23-Oct-11 17:00:55

will definitely take the waistcoats and stuff for the boys...whether you are likely to catch me in a skirt shock and shawl is another matter completely grin

midoriway Sun 23-Oct-11 17:15:18

The tar tunnel is awesome. It will take not more than 40 mins, virtually next door to blist hills, so not out of your way, and is unlike anything I have seen before.

very cool, beautifully located.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now