Talk

Advanced search

days out in South Cornwall

(13 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Tue 18-Oct-11 11:34:42

Going to cornwall for half term week with DDs (2 and 4.5) and DN (2.5) (nearest town St Austell, staying not far from St Mawes).

Any recommendations for days out, am hoping weather will hold and we will be able to spend some time outside but ideas if weather bad would be much appreciated too.

OsmosisBanana Tue 18-Oct-11 21:32:18

Eden Project? Flambards (horrid) fairground thing? Bristol?

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 20-Oct-11 09:31:46

yes saw that Flambards place, think I want to avoid it like the plague.

thinking they may be a little young for Eden project.

found a seal sanctuary at Gweek that is supposed to be good, and I fancy a trip to St Michael's Mount.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 20-Oct-11 09:37:17

DS LOVED the Eden project at 2.5 and 3.5 (he talked about it for months afterwards and so we went back the following year).

He also loved Helligan, but not sure what that would be like at this time of year.

National Maritime Museum in Falmouth is good, perhaps slightly old for them though?) [[http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/pendennis-castle/ Pendennis Castle was also a big hit with 2.5yo DS.

Gweek is good, but will take about an hour to get there I would think.

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 20-Oct-11 09:46:26

Thanks Jareth, that is good to know about Eden, I have been before pre DDs and it is great so maybe it is worth a visit.

Helligan may be a possibility too.

Yes did think Gweek was quite far maybe too far.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 20-Oct-11 10:02:29

Would recommend Pendennis over St Michaels Mount as well. More child friendly IMO, and the climb to St Michael's Mount is very steep. Doable, but might be tricky with 2 small ones.

If you do go there are tunnels and hidden areas to explore round the back of the castle, loads of things to see smile

happystory Thu 20-Oct-11 10:17:56

Wouldn't recommend the seal sanctuary at all. very expensive and not a lot to see.

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 20-Oct-11 11:38:25

Thanks Happy, I did look at the website and it is v expensive if you buy tickets on the door, almost half the price if you book online. May give that a miss then.

Like the look of Pendennis thanks.

sleepevader Thu 20-Oct-11 11:42:54

Buy the local paper for discounts.

What sort of things Do the children enjoy?

Am a bit lost for ideas - will get my thinking cap on.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 20-Oct-11 11:47:02

Clubcard vouchers can be used for Eden tickets, if you're going - it's hella expensive otherwise!

DorisIsTheDarkDestroyer Thu 20-Oct-11 11:55:47

Flambards (whilst slightly hellish) is actually really good, especially as they take tesco vouchers. There are age appropriate rides (dd2 who's 4 got to go on a rollercoaster for the 1st time in her life and LOVED it). There are also a few indoor soft play type places dotted around and we walk around the victorian village with the girls before going on the ride for e-ju-cation! grin.

There is also a MAHOSIVE new soft play building that is accessed by the car park included in the price which again fanstactic for a wet day (not that it ever rains in Cornwall.

Other nice things do the Park and Ride train into St Ives Fab Fab scenery and the kids loved the train ride, (we didn't go to the tate as thought it might be a waste.

BerryLellow Thu 20-Oct-11 12:03:40

Also at flambards on the Wednesday of half term is the fireworks party thing with entertainment. So you may want to go to that/avoid it like the plague. I think there will be a lot of locals at it.

Agree get the west briton which usually has vouchers for discounts to attractions. Haven't bought today's yet so don't know what's in there for next week. The website is thisiscornwall.

Maritime museum at falmouth is usually good

whoneedssleepanyway Sun 23-Oct-11 19:26:27

Thanks everyone, for great ideas.

We went to Pendennis today and it was fab, had a really good time, although DD2 did get very scared at the waxwork models stoking the cannons and the noise...!

I think they would enjoy Flambards, but it may be a bit far for us, will see.

The weather forecast is horrific for the next few days so we will see what we do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now