Talk

Advanced search

Jorvik Centre with a 4yr old and other things to do in York

(5 Posts)
lecce Sun 16-Oct-11 08:33:32

We are planning to take ds1 (4.7) there for the day in half-term. He is very interested in Vikings (a beard is top of his Christmas list as he already has a hat with horns!) and can concentrate pretty well when motivated. However, I see on their website that children under 5 are free and this makes me wonder if it's really suitable for younger children. Would love some feedback from anyone who has visited with a similarly-aged child.

We will also have ds2 (2.3) with us so if it's a 'quiet' museum we will have to rethink the whole thing! Also, have noticed that there are other bits like a dig, Micklegate etc. Does anyone know if these are worth paying extra for with this aged child?

Finally, assuming we do go and spend about 2-3 hours in the museum, can anyone recommned something pretty cheap we could do for the rest of the day in York, as we will have travelled about 2 hours to get there and would like to make a full day of it.

Thanks very much.

whyme2 Sun 16-Oct-11 08:50:55

It is years since I have been to Jorvik so I can't help you there but if you are in York with children then a visit to the Railway museum is a must. It is free and it is huge. Loads to see and do. Beware it does cost £9.00 shock to park in their car park.

Moomoomie Sun 16-Oct-11 08:53:28

Jorvik centre is fab, both children should enjoy it.
National railway museum is close by and free to get in.
You could climb the York Minster.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 16-Oct-11 08:55:01

dd1 (4.7 now) loved york castle museum this summer. there's a dungeon with projections of former prisoners, exhibition of toys through the years, a courtyard area with games, a victorian school, street and shops. we spent a good while there.

the NRM was ok, but enjoyed most by DH (geek) rather than the dds. it's free, so you can just call in for an hour, but a bit of a walk from the centre of York.

hermioneweasley Sun 16-Oct-11 09:01:50

Another vote for the railway museum. I'm not particularly interested in trains, but you can't fail to be impressed by them, and lots for kids to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now