Talk

Advanced search

Day Trip to Bath

(5 Posts)
glasshouse Thu 15-Sep-11 11:36:12

Am off for a day trip to Bath next Saturday, what are the must sees and dos. Will be with an 8 year old boy - I'm sure he'll love the baths themselves but need inspiration for the rest of the day. Any ideas where to eat would also be gratefully received. Many thanks for your help.

ireallyagreewithyou Thu 15-Sep-11 11:37:56

mine liked the park at the top of the hill
and yo sushi

baths ok - ish

cakesandale Thu 15-Sep-11 11:38:01

Open top bus tour is great - also just pootering around the streets near the pump rooms is great, there are lots of street entertainers. Avoid the Italian type family restaurant opposite the front of the pump rooms - or at least their chilli.

FrizzBath Thu 15-Sep-11 11:53:34

Bath's lovely for sightseeing but not especially brilliant for kids, sorry!

If you're going to the Roman Baths, make sure you get the kids' audio guide which helps to bring all those dusty old stones and pillars a bit more to life!

Agree that the open-top bus tour is worthwhile. Head to Victoria Park if you all need a run-around - there's a massive playground there.

If the weather's nice, your best lunch option is to go to one of Bath's very nice sandwich shops (Scoffs is our favourite by Parade Gardens) and head down to the riverside by Pulteney Bridge for a picnic. Riverside Cafe on the steps down from the east side of Pulteney Bridge is nice too, with views over the weir.

We tend to eat at the chains if it's raining - Giraffe down in the Southgate Centre, Pizza Express (two in the town) etc. Jamie's Italian in Milsom Place is worth a visit if you're a Jamie Oliver fan.

If you're in Bath on Saturday 24th, there might be something worth seeing at the Children's Literature Festival - they have loads of famous authors coming along.
www.bathkidslitfest.org.uk

Hope you have a great visit!

SaggyHairyArse Sun 18-Sep-11 12:38:02

My kids like going to Bath hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now