Talk

Advanced search

Day out in Bristol

(4 Posts)
JoshBear Tue 30-Aug-11 16:50:08

Hi, Can anyone advise on something to fill a few hours in and around the Bristol area? It's DH's birthday and we are having a day out in Bristol, tailored around 2yr old DS. I had planned the aquarium, lunch and a sail on The Matthew but that has sold out. Bad planning on my part - that was the main part of the day! The other boat trips don't look as fab as the Matthew (unless anyone can advise any different) and i wanted something a little different than the usual soft play areas / parks than we normally go to. However, any suggestions would be gratefully received. There are some fab looking museums but DS likes to run around everywhere so we find that doing a museum generally consists of us running after him rather than having an enjoyable day out. Lunch and the aquarium are based around the harbour but we will have the car and happy to jump on public transport.
Many thanks

limetrees Tue 30-Aug-11 17:01:26

The zoo is about 5-10 mins drive from the centre.

If you are going in the next few days, there are large gorilla statues all over the town centre to hunt for, but they are due to be removed in one week's time.

Hoto Tue 30-Aug-11 17:06:21

I took 2yo DS to the Aquarium recently and he ran through the place in 10 mins flat. Bit much for over a tenner per adult, I thought.

on the other hand, he loves M Shed which is brand new and really interactive for kids (a double decker bus that can be climbed on, costumes to try on etc) and it's freeeee.

Barbeasty Tue 30-Aug-11 21:14:23

I quite like the other boats. this company are good. You can do round trips which either go from the aquarium area past the SS Great Britain or towards the station.

For DHs birthday the other year we parked for free by the harbour masters (near the Cottage pub on Cumberland Road) and got the boat from there to the centre, then changed boats and did the round trip past the station. Got back off in the centre and had lunch (can recommend Bordeaux Quay brasserie, very child friendly) before getting the boat to the SS Great Britain and then back to the car.

We did it using an unlimited all day ticket, which is discounted if you buy in advance online.

Cabot Tower has just reopened in Brandon Park at the top of Park Street.

Clifton Downs are great, with the suspension bridge, camera obscura, zoo, and lots of space to run around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now