Talk

Advanced search

Southampton/Southampton airport with no car - ideas tomorrow please?

(9 Posts)
lingle Thu 25-Aug-11 18:38:11

I have to return a hire car to Southampton airport tomorrow then need to kill the day in Southampton within walking distance of the train line with the DSs (8 and 6)

recommendations all gratefully received. stop at docks and look at boats a lot?

purplepidjin Thu 25-Aug-11 18:49:35

Southampton Airport Parkway is right on the airport, so very easy.

St Mary's football stadium has a nice cafe and is about a mile walk from the station - could be a good treasure hunt following the signs which are a football with a halo grin Quite hilly but will only cost the price of the drinks/food (very nice, i used to work up the road)

If you go out the "down" side (look for toys r us) and find West Quay Road, there is a big complex with bowling and cinema called Leisure World. Thats about 10 minutes walk on the flat. More expensive and all the same stuff you get everywhere - but will kill more time.

Or i you want to go further afield head down to Portsmouth and do the Historic Dockyard. That's more of a day trip, and afaik you'll need to get the train to Southampton Central and change for Portsmouth Harbour.

PS if the DS's will stand it, there are some amazing outlet shops at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth wink

5ofus Thu 25-Aug-11 18:50:43

I'd take train to Southampton Central then head for IKEA. Or further afield into New Forest. Boats not that good or that easy to see. There is also a steam railway at Lakeside which might be worth a visit.

purplepidjin Thu 25-Aug-11 19:08:00

Brockenhurst for the New Forest, there's some very nice pubs. Not sure how far you have to walk to see ponies though

If you're determined on boats, change at Brock for Lymington Pier

lingle Thu 25-Aug-11 19:32:52

that's helpful thanks. I'll be spending the night in Christchurch so Brockenhurst an option.

cinema sounds like a good tip if its raining

purplepidjin Thu 25-Aug-11 20:05:56

The So'ton Airport line goes direct to Christchurch via Brockenhurst (and past the station 3 minutes from me) so that's nice and convenient.

Bournemouth is actually much closer to Christchurch - the Oceanarium on the Pier is very good, and there's a cinema on Westover Road on 2 sites (one used to be the ice rink I think - that closed when i was little sad) plus SegaWorld with computer games and laser quest.

I don't know what the public transport links are like, but the Adventure Wonderland near Bournemouth Airport is amazing - took DNephew (4) last week and he loved it. We were there 4.5 hours shock

If you want to PM me with more specific stuff your ds's are into, I can make better suggestions.

Tommy Fri 26-Aug-11 18:59:11

if the weather is good, take the train into Southampton and spend the day in the parks and/or walking round the walls which have lots of clues and trails and things. (also free!)The tourist information office is just up the hill from the station, opposite the Civic Centre so they may be able to give you an activity sheet for the walls.
Swimming pool (The Quays) in centre of town too, 10 mins walk from station.
Art Gallery (in the Civic Centre) free entrance and may have some chldrne;s activities but if not, always interesting for a look
The Tudor House Museum (on the Walls walk) is newly opened and very good by all acounts - we haven't made it there yet though.
Lots of cafes etc in town centre and West Quay shopping centre
have fun! smile

fivegomadindorset Fri 26-Aug-11 19:01:02

We used to go to that ice rink eveyy week sad

purplepidjin Fri 26-Aug-11 20:42:10

Me too, five sad There's one open in the BIC at the moment though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now