Talk

Advanced search

Nice sandy seaside town not too far from London?

(9 Posts)
TheHouseofMirth Tue 23-Aug-11 23:00:17

We're in SW London and fancy a day by the sea. The nearest places have horrible pebbles and we definitely need a sandy beach for boys to build castles and dams, somewhere nice for lunch and perhaps be a few little shops for MIL to wander around as she'll get bored on the beach after a while. Was wondering what Littlehampton is like? Also can never remember which Wittering is which. Or even Bognor.

Any suggestions?

fivegomadindorset Tue 23-Aug-11 23:02:01

Bournemouth is a couple pf hours but will meet all your requirements.

curlytoes Tue 23-Aug-11 23:05:19

West Wittering is a very child friendly, sandy beach. There's lots of parking in a big field right by the beach although it is quite expensive. I have no idea how long the journey would be from London though- sorry.

lisad123 Tue 23-Aug-11 23:07:24

gorleston just outside yarmouth is beutiful
Bournemouth is wonderful and loads of shops
weston super mare still has olden times seaside town feel

jaffaX2 Wed 24-Aug-11 19:51:39

Hi T.H.O.M,
Little hampton is sandy when the water is out,we went over to west beach first. water came in about 10.30 or so.then went to busy side water does not come in till 1or2 i think it was. my 2 had great fun in the sand and the water gets very shallow by the end of the day so you can walk out which my eldest loved.you have everything there and the shops are a short walk away.have fun its a great day out.smile

TheHouseofMirth Thu 25-Aug-11 19:41:25

Thanks everyone! lisad123 your suggestions are great (I especially love Norfolk) but all a bit too far for a day trip with a 2 year old in the car!

May all be a bit academic now the weather looks decidedly dodgy for this weekend.

gillybean2 Fri 02-Sep-11 13:11:33

Camber Sands

snail1973 Fri 02-Sep-11 13:20:19

You could try Frensham ponds in Surrey instead. Not actually by the sea, but therefore much closer to London. There are a couple of ponds ie lakes and the ground is so sandy that there is a kind of beach at the each of the ponds. It is heathland all around and although there are no shops to look at as its not a town there is a hotel around the other side of the main pond which could be good for lunch (a Best Western I think although havent been in it)

seeker Fri 02-Sep-11 13:24:17

Broadstairs. Has Everything you want. I'm happy to provide restaurant reccomendations if you need them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now