Talk

Advanced search

What can granny do by herself in london?

(9 Posts)
FoJo Thu 18-Aug-11 06:15:22

7 of us heading off to Thorpe park next week from the north east so gran tagging along as well. We are staying near thorpe park and having a half day at beginning and end of trip in london, but gran is going into london herself on the 2 days we are at thorpe park, so what can she do? She;s been to london before and happy on the tube. Not a great shopper, or culture vulture and working on a bit of a budget! I'm angling her towards gardens etc which is her thing, Kew, Botanical etc? Any ideas welcome, thanks all

EdithWeston Thu 18-Aug-11 07:13:32

There's the Museum of Garden history in Lambeth. I haven't been there for years, so can't say what it's like right now.

It's in Lambeth (next to Lambeth Palace, which isn't open to the public), not quite opposite the Tate (if she does culture at all), and if you go away from the river, it's very close to the Imperial War Museum (free entry).

ajandjjmum Thu 18-Aug-11 07:20:07

Buckingham Palace is open at the moment.

FoJo Thu 18-Aug-11 07:36:21

thanks Edith, that sounds good. Ajand, Buckingham Palace fully booked apparantly, a friend going at the weekend and is gutted that she cant go! Love to hear any other suggestions

mousymouse Thu 18-Aug-11 07:37:03

- themse clipper up and down with a day ticket
- kensington palace orangerie (tea and scones not too pricey)
- greenwich maritime museum (free)
- tate modern (free)

Lizcat Thu 18-Aug-11 13:28:37

Was she a child in WW2? If so the Imperial War Museum have a fab exhibition on the 'children's war', my mum really enjoyed it seeing all the things from her childhood. Had we not gone I would not have known that post war my granny went back to work so that my grandad to could train to be an architect his dream that had been disrupted by war.

FoJo Thu 18-Aug-11 20:18:02

yes she was lizcat and so i reckon it'll be right her street. thanks

wompoopigeon Thu 18-Aug-11 20:39:31

Kew Gardens is superb. Not to be missed.

FoJo Thu 01-Sep-11 21:17:49

just thought i'd up date tou all, she went to imperial war museum and loved it. Weather wasnt kind so kew gardens will have to wait for another trip!. Thanks for all of your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now