Talk

Advanced search

Ironbridge tips and recommendations/weather?

(7 Posts)
milkshakejake Wed 17-Aug-11 21:26:56

anyone been to ironbridge with young children? Mine are 2, 4 and 6.10. We've got Tesco vouchers to get in. Does it matter if it's raining? Just checking the forecast for the next few days and it's not looking great... is there lots to do inside if it chucks it down?

Bunbaker Wed 17-Aug-11 23:28:13

We visited Ironbridge a year ago. There is loads to see and do. You get a "passport" to visit all the museums, and you can visit them in your own time. The passport is valid for a year.

There is an outdoor village - Blists Hill Victorian Village, which is a little like Beamish. You don't need hot weather to see it, but it wouldn't be much fun in the rain. The Coalbrookdale museum of iron, Coalport china museum, Darby houses and Jackfield tile museum are all indoors.

The gorge and bridge itself are very pretty and look their best in nice weather. Parking can be a problem so get there early. Ironbridge is quite spread out so you would need to park the car at the Coalbrookdale museum for there and the Darby houses. If you can't park in the middle of Ironbridge you can drive along the river and cross it at the next bridge and drive back along the river and park at the other end of the iron bridge.

Have a great time.

seeksnewnamewithgsoh Wed 17-Aug-11 23:33:45

Enginuity is also indoors and is really good fun. Haven't done it with kids yet (DD is not long 1) but I've been to a wedding reception there and it was hilarious.

If it does rain, it's not a complete wash out though. You'll probably do better actually because the crowds will stay away and you won't have to cram inside the buildings at Blists Hill. I've only ever been round the museums in the rain for some reason confused

If the weather is nice, have a walk along the river at Ironbridge to Dale End Park. It's a great park for a picnic and has a play area for the DCs to let off a bit more steam.

mummymeister Fri 19-Aug-11 18:46:07

I love Ironbridge you need at least a couple of days to do it in fairness but there is stuff to do whatever the weather. would definately advise you to give it a go!

ohnoherewego Fri 19-Aug-11 19:02:14

Second vote for Enginuity. It doesn't look big and was not expecting much for the large entrance fee when first went in but kids were there for ages and can't wait to go back

Dancergirl Wed 24-Aug-11 20:45:04

We're thinking about going to Ironbridge at Oct half term. But we're not local so will probably make a few days of it.

Does anyone have any ideas where they would recommend staying in the area? We have 3 dds so need a big family room in a hotel ideally.

Bunbaker Thu 25-Aug-11 09:59:20

We stayed in a cottage in Much Wenlock last year and it was brilliant and only 6 miles from Ironbridge. I love the area and would go again at the drop of a hat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now