Talk

Advanced search

Went to the new Museum of Liverpool today. It was awful.

(10 Posts)
purpleturtle Fri 12-Aug-11 19:25:04

Most of the place isn't even open yet - so a school-holiday-full of the general public were there swarming round half a museum.
The gallery for under 7s operates on a timed ticket system, but there were none left for today by 2pm. We did get tickets for some film about the Beatles (what else?!) but they weren't valid for over an hour, by which time we'd had enough and left without seeing it.
The ladies loo appeared not to have been cleaned properly since it was built. The floor was disgusting. One of the taps wasn't working at all, and the coat/bag hook in my cubicle had fallen off. The place hasn't been open a month.
There is a dim possibility that when everything is finally open, in Spring 2012, this will be a decent museum. But I strongly suggest you wait till then.

said Fri 12-Aug-11 19:31:37

I went this week - only for last half hour. Was quite impressed.

purpleturtle Fri 12-Aug-11 19:41:39

What impressed you, said? I fully expected to like it, and was so disappointed so quickly that I may not have been altogether fair on the galleries we did go in.

said Fri 12-Aug-11 19:44:13

Only looked around top floor so didn't see rest. So, mostly devoted to music/writers etc. Liked the rather grand central staircase.

breadcrumbs Fri 12-Aug-11 19:49:47

We loved the top floor gallery (DSs 9 and 7), loads to see and chat about and music to listen to. Great views from the windows.

Toilets were fine when we were there (last week), staff could not have been more helpful, gift shop had loads of reasonably priced stuff.

We were there last year when it was being built, and expect to be in the city again next May so look forward to seeing the finished thing!

Recommend getting there when it opens at 10am!

YaMaYaMa Fri 12-Aug-11 19:52:38

Ha, yes I went last week and thought it was crap. I cannot tell you how sick of the effing Beatles I am, plus there's an actual Beatles museum here anyway I think?

The loos are rubbish as you can't fit a buggy/pram in and there is no loo in large baby changing room, although there's clearly room for one. Oh and you missed nothing in the kid's section.

I was quite irritated by the place grin

purpleturtle Fri 12-Aug-11 19:54:06

I may have been spoiled by Weston Park Museum in Sheffield and the Kelvingrove in Glasgow - both of which are excellent for children as well as adults (well, tbh, the Sheffield one, maybe more for children). Perhaps on my own, on a quieter day, I wouldn't have reacted so strongly against it.

purpleturtle Fri 12-Aug-11 19:55:21

Agree, breadcrumbs, the view from the windows was about the best thing I saw. And I'm pretty sure the view was there before they built the place.

fifitot Fri 12-Aug-11 19:58:33

Talking of bad experiences with museums and stuff - went to Eureka this week and that was awful. Absolutely rammed to the point that the exhibitions which are interactive were rendered useless as you couldn't hear yourself think, never mind interact with the displays. Kids were running wild, there weren't enough toilets. Far too many people there. They should have a limit so that the whole experience isn't made unviable.

androbbob Mon 15-Aug-11 22:42:37

We went a few weeks ago and spent an hour or so wandering around. It has the potential to be good but I found my DS (4) was a little bored after half an hour so we split up and one adult had a wander while he played then swapped over. Given the time to read everything it is an interesting place....just not young kids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now