Talk

Advanced search

Help with cycle hire this sunday

(7 Posts)
soniaweir Fri 12-Aug-11 13:45:46

dear mums netters, please help me.

My DH wants to drive from sw london to new forest, hire bikes and drive back with our two dc (1 & 2) all in one day. i think its too far so i need to come up with a compromise. Can anyone recommend somewhere? i've called the look out centre in bracknell but dd is below min age due to insurance or something annoying.

So what i am looking for is a place to hire and go for a nice cycle ride, preferably off road in a forest about an hour away from tooting. also looking for a longish cycle ride, one where we can stop for lunch etc. I've also tried the alice holt forest but it's not big enough.

can anyone come up with suggestions? our weekend will be ruined if i don't come up with something!!!

Thanks all!

nannynick Sat 13-Aug-11 00:13:40

I've never been (have been to Bracknell and Alice Holt) but over in Epping Forest they do cycle hire.

They have a family cycle event (guided tour) on Sunday 14th August - see www.gofurthercycling.co.uk/. Prebooking essential, may be pushing it this late on but you never know you may get lucky if you call them first thing Sat morning.

ChippyMinton Sat 13-Aug-11 09:23:01

New Forest isn't that far ( we are in same area and regularly go to Poole/Bournemouth for the day, which is further). The main issue will be traffic if the weather is good the M3 will be busy.

Realistically how much time will the DC spend on a bike without getting grouchy? I'd try Alice Holt because there are other options, like the climbing sculptures to keep it interesting.

Burnham Beeches is lovely, not sure about cycle hire options though.

ChippyMinton Sat 13-Aug-11 09:27:59

Or Richmond Park?

ChippyMinton Sat 13-Aug-11 09:32:13

No, not Richmond Park this weekend as there is the Olympic Prepare cycling event.

soniaweir Sat 13-Aug-11 18:16:18

thanks all. I've relented and we have booked bikes in brockenhurst as the weather should be good. lets hope the traffic is not bad. we are going to leave early and come back later when it's bed time so if we get stuck in traffic they will be sleeping.

thanks again!

ChippyMinton Sat 13-Aug-11 21:01:38

check out the road closures for the road race in case it affects your route out of town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now