Talk

Advanced search

In Banbury for one day - what to do with kids??

(4 Posts)
androbbob Thu 11-Aug-11 13:17:46

Got a day in Banbury next week - was looking at Blenheim Palace gardens only or Motor Museum at Buelieu (sp) north of Banbury.

Anyone been to either of these and would like to comment or recommend anywhere else not too expensive? Kids are 4 and 9 and are not fans of stately homes!

Kladdkaka Thu 11-Aug-11 20:31:02

We're fans of the stately home but I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed with Blenheim Palace. It looks fab but the majority of the house was out of bounds and gardens aren't really anything special (compared to others we've been to). My main complaint was that it is very expensive but you don't get more for your money, if you know what I mean.

I've not been to the motor museum (can't spell it either) but I know a lot of people who have and I've never heard anything but rave reviews, especially from the kids.

If you want somewhere not too expensive, try the white horse at Uffington, Uffington Castle mound, Dragon Hill (where St George killed the dragon) and a burial chamber I can't remember the site of. Signposted from Wantage. All at the top of The Ridgeway, a Roman road with amazing views of the surrounding area and all completely free. Don't forget a picknik.

An alternative that can be a bit expensive, but you can often find vouchers on the web (AA often do 2 for 1 offers) is Warwick Castle. Totally amazing, full day out. More expensive than Blenheim but worth every penny. The kids will love it.

Kladdkaka Thu 11-Aug-11 20:34:34

I've just realised, the motor museum I'm thinking of is Beaulieu which is in the New Forest 2 hours south of Banbury. Not sure if this is what you were thinking of.

androbbob Thu 11-Aug-11 21:47:59

Got the motor museum wrong - meant this one www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/here

Will look at the Uffington thingy now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now