Talk

Advanced search

Days out in and around the Reading area. What are you going to do during the holidays?

(24 Posts)
HookADuck Mon 08-Aug-11 11:15:10

I think there is quite a few of us on Mn in or aroun d this area so i thought a list may help.

So far on my list:

California park
Wellington country park
Coral Reef
Child Beale
The prom (by the river)
Odds Farm

What have I missed?

Does anyone know of any fun days or events that are being held?

HookADuck Mon 08-Aug-11 11:28:33

Dinton Pastures

nannynick Thu 11-Aug-11 21:30:48

The Lookout (park if it's nice. Inside if it's wet.)

SurreyHeath: Places to go - this is my list, not all places are local as I like to travel a bit.

HookADuck Fri 12-Aug-11 09:08:18

nannynick your blog is fantastic and a great list - thanks for linking smile

Lady1nTheRadiator Fri 12-Aug-11 09:14:32

Thatcham Discovery Centre is nice - lake to walk around, cafe, playground, I can't link from my phone but if you Google there's a page on West Berks website.

HookADuck Fri 12-Aug-11 21:50:48

Thanks Ladyintheradiator - off to google smile

RollingInTheAisles Fri 12-Aug-11 21:52:46

Definitely The Lookout but take a picnic, cafe is crap. Bucklebury Farm is fun too.

clangermum Fri 12-Aug-11 22:00:59

Millers Ark are visiting Museum of English Rural Life on 16th August
(MERL website has various other bits and bobs for younger children)

REME museum has some activities

Also there are craft/hands-on sessions at Reading Museum - good for a couple of hours, and Forbury Gardens nearby is lovely for a picnic

clangermum Fri 12-Aug-11 22:03:42

Dinton Pastures has a water activities centre now - not sure of the proper title, but my impression is it's more family oriented than the previous set-up (wish I hadn't missed the recent open day)

RollingInTheAisles Fri 12-Aug-11 22:04:27

Story time at Reading Museum is always fab too. Drawing stuff for the kids that get bored too.

HookADuck Fri 12-Aug-11 22:04:45

Great suggestions smile

HookADuck Fri 12-Aug-11 23:01:46

Just googled a few of these suggestions. Fantastic information - have organised so much, thank you smile

The libraries have loads of free activities, had a look at MERL. Most of the activities are age 2 years +, which seems daft as I can't go because of my 8 month old so dd1 has to miss out - but if you do just have the older ones they have some fun stuff going on.

Reading Museum has a craft activity and tales for tots! So that's a morning activity and lunch in the forbury is a great idea!

Reme is for ages 5+ so no good for us, but looks a lot of fun for those old enough - there is a summer treasure hunt amongst other things

I know DD1 will love the Millers Ark!

off to google the new water centre at Dinton!

HookADuck Fri 12-Aug-11 23:04:15

Oh and the Thatcham discovery centre has 'I'm a surviour' type activites for the older ones which looks like something very different for the kids - has to be booked and is £4.50

nannynick Sat 13-Aug-11 00:05:18

I care for a 9 month old, 3yr old and 6yr old and last year it was easier finding things to do. Now with there being a baby involved it is harder.

We go to Reading by train... it's part of the fun - museum and JohnLewis are the usual haunts. Sometimes we might eat sandwiches down by the canal near Jamies Italian, or head over towards Caversham to the playground.

The older two children quite liked the Cole Museum at Reading Uni. It's very small though.

They also liked going around the garden at Englefield House.

PrettyCandles Sat 13-Aug-11 00:14:56

The Look Out in Bracknell Forest
Cliveden
Bucklebury Farm
Henley River and Rowing Museum
Boulters Lock

HookADuck Sat 13-Aug-11 07:27:00

dd1 really enjoys the caversham play area, sep. the swimming pool. Although it does get really busy on hot days. Really appreciate the playground suggestions on your blog nannynick,always good to hear of a decent playground as they are by far dd1's best thing to do. Thinking of going to either Sandhurst or the one in Ascot tomorrow morning.

Never heard of the cole meuseum so going to take a look at that now.

Pretttycandles iwhat is there at Boulters Lock? is Cliveden good for the kids?

MinnieBar Sat 13-Aug-11 07:54:04

The Living Rainforest if it's a rainy day. Nr Beale Park.

Lady1nTheRadiator Sat 13-Aug-11 08:29:53

Hmm you've made me think, HookaDuck, my DS is nearly 4 but my DD is only 10 months, I would've taken him to any activities that were, say, 2+ on the assumption that DD can just sit with me/watch/chew something. Surely younger siblings are welcome at eg the library for a craft activity?

Don't forget to find out what's on at your local children's centre, the one nearest to me has something on most days and even a couple of coach trips are coming up.

RollingInTheAisles Sat 13-Aug-11 09:05:11

Sandhurst memorial park is great, take bucket and spade though as there's sand to dig in. Camberley M & S is five mins in car and good for lunch for kids.

HookADuck Sat 13-Aug-11 09:14:44

Sand is dd1's favourite tihng in the whole world so I think we'll head there this weekend!

I think the libary is fine Ladyintheradiator, it was just the MERL website which, IMHO made it clear they didn't want yonger children there, but I could be reading it wrong. Be nice if it was because I would like to go and do a few of those activities with dd1.

PrettyCandles Sat 13-Aug-11 09:16:32

Does anyone know whether the 'beach' has been set up at the Oracle in Reading? I haven't been to Reading at all this summer hols.

HookADuck Sat 13-Aug-11 09:18:53

The Beach .. had forgotten all about that!!

Her's the times and activities!

nannynick Sat 13-Aug-11 16:52:11

Boulters Lock - good for watching boats go through the lock.
On the island there are grass areas for picnics, a cafe, Aviary and Guinea Pigs enclosure.

Ray Mill Island

There is a playground a bit further down the road and mini-golf.

PrettyCandles Sat 13-Aug-11 17:44:51

Only drawback to Boulters Lock is that you need to remember that you are on an island - be vigilant with toddlers. Otherwise, lovely.

Playground is called Jennets Park. Has recently been refurbished, good range of toys, including sandpit. Carpark is a sort of pay and display, buy ticket in the cafe.

Cliveden is essentially gardens. Great variety: water garden, maze, lawns, woodland, meadows. Also a playground. They often have events such as historical re-enactments or classic car rallies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now