Talk

Advanced search

Driving from Surrey to Devon - where to stop en route?

(13 Posts)
CointreauVersial Sun 31-Jul-11 20:36:47

That's it, really. We don't need to be in Devon until the evening, so we want to make a day of it, stopping somewhere, preferably for lunch and a bit of sightseeing/tourist stuff. DCs are 11, 10 and 8.

Any ideas for a stop-off?

Sidge Sun 31-Jul-11 20:39:26

The New Forest? Some lovely picnic areas.

Or Salisbury?

What route are you planning to take?

somersetmum Sun 31-Jul-11 20:40:52

Stonehenge?

CointreauVersial Sun 31-Jul-11 21:48:38

Stonehenge, thanks but no thanks! I've seen it far too many times from the traffic jam on the A303.

Route will either be fast (M4/M5), or slow (M3 followed by pootle along the south coast). We have a whole day for the trip back too, so will probably go there one way and back another.

The New Forest is a bit too close, but Salisbury sounds interesting - I've not been there. What is there to see?

chippy47 Sun 31-Jul-11 21:53:32

Jurassic coast, Dorset.

orienteerer Sun 31-Jul-11 21:57:07

Stourhead?? ...or Longleat??

orienteerer Sun 31-Jul-11 21:58:41

Or Fleet Air Arm Museum Yeovilton, just off A303

orienteerer Sun 31-Jul-11 21:59:57

.....or Hayes Motor Museum.

CointreauVersial Sun 31-Jul-11 22:02:35

Longleat - ooh now there's an idea! I'll look into that one.

I have been to Stourhead, but a long time ago. It is lovely, if the weather is good.

DH and DS would be very excited about a museum full of planes, but I can't see the DDs being too thrilled.

Jurassic coast - possibly, possibly......

Keep the suggestions coming. Anywhere further west? We are going down to Torquay.

Sam100 Sun 31-Jul-11 22:04:46

We stopped off at the river cottage cafe in axminster [[ http://www.rivercottage.net/canteens/ here]] on way to cornwall and had a fab lunch. Well worth the detour - it's only about 10 miles or so off the a303/a35 route. We left surrey at 9 am ish and were sat down for lunch by 12!

Lyme Regis is also worth a visit - lots of interesting little shops, great places to eat and a small beach right in the centre of town.

Salisbury has the cathedral but not much else! Town centre is olde worlde but pretty much all the same shops as anywhere else - the traffic on a saturday can be horrendous.

Sam100 Sun 31-Jul-11 22:05:47

Not done my link very well try again

orienteerer Sun 31-Jul-11 22:14:26

Escot is excellent and not busy.

CointreauVersial Sun 31-Jul-11 22:34:06

River Cottage sounds lovely, but would be wasted on my fussy DCs, unfortunately.

Absolutely loving the sound of Escot, thanks for that! About 1/3 the price of Longleat, too...

I haven't been to Lyme Regis since I was very young, but that's another good idea. Oh, I'm so glad I have you lot for inspiration!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now