Talk

Advanced search

Fun stuff in Oxford please

(11 Posts)
fleacircus Tue 26-Jul-11 19:24:05

I'm meeting a friend in Oxford in a couple of weeks; we'll have two three year olds, a two year old and a baby. What can we do that will keep them entertained? We've only chosen Oxford for mutual convenience so it doesn't have to reflect the city's culture or history, keeping littles happy is more important! TIA

bagelmonkey Wed 27-Jul-11 13:30:03

Make sure you go to one of the G&D cafes for ice cream.

bagelmonkey Wed 27-Jul-11 13:31:38

www.gdcafe.com

alarkaspree Wed 27-Jul-11 13:32:12

Botanical garden, near Magdalen Bridge.

From thread title I was going to tell you to go punting but with the ages of your children, maybe the river isn't such a good idea!

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 13:33:44

Cutteslowe Park if the weather holds out, good paddling pool and very good play area.

Natural History museum is good (my 3yo loves it). Park on Norham Gardens and walk through University Parks to get there (only parking in the area IIRC)

bagelmonkey Wed 27-Jul-11 13:48:31

If you have a car, the Roald Dahl museum in Great Missenden would be great for a wet day
http://www.roalddahlmuseum.org/

idlevice Wed 27-Jul-11 13:56:03

I love Oxford but haven't done it with kids - yet. As such not much comes to mind except Botanic Gardens or the University Parks. The museums are fab but prob not suitable if you want to have a more relaxed time nattering with your mate! The Cherwell Boathouse is a bit out of the centre but a lovely spot with restaurant & a teahouse. The restaurant has child portions & highchairs & an openair terrace. Obviously it is near the river which would probably have rowers & punters on to provide some interest but there is always the riskier side of being near water...The amazing pubs Head of the River & the Trout are also riverside unfornately if you'd rather avoid the need to be hypervigilant.

karma22 Wed 27-Jul-11 13:56:09

Rectory Farm is about 10 mins from Headington roundabout in Oxford. It's a pick your own fruit and veg farm with sandpit and bouncy castle. A lovely day out.

bagelmonkey Wed 27-Jul-11 15:34:31

Millets Farm is a great spot too. There are animals, a few play things, a cafe/restaurant, food shop, garden centre and I think there's a maize maze too. They usually have kids activities in the holidays too.

supergreenuk Wed 27-Jul-11 15:42:19

I second millets farm. It's free and really well kept.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 18:48:22

Millets Farm is good but the restaurant is a bit crap IMO. The maize maze is there now, and there's an Alice in Wonderland thing going on as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now