Talk

Advanced search

Favourite theme park?

(6 Posts)
ash6605 Thu 14-Jul-11 00:30:38

Just wondering what everyone's favourite UK theme park is? I'm trying to decide where to go for dc's birthday in the summer, thinking of making a couple of days of it.
Have done Alton Towers to death so after somewhere different this time. Dc's ages are 12,8 and 15mth

fortyplus Thu 14-Jul-11 00:39:27

Alton Towers is best in my opinion but Thorpe Park has great rides too. Always packed in the holidays, though - with nightmare queues for rides and no gardens to escape to.

mumoverseas Fri 15-Jul-11 06:57:32

I took DC 2, 3 & 4 (and DC2's friend) to Thorpe park yesterday and would not go back again if they paid me.

It is in no way (in my opinion) a 'family' theme park. I have gone previous years and there was a lovely section (octopus garden) just for the younger children which was great. They have however in their wisdom removed it and put yet another roller coaster type ride in so essentially there is nothing for the little ones to do. OP, your 12 year old would love it and possibly your 8 year old (although beware they have recently increased a lot of height restrictions so rides that some DC were able to go on previously they can now longer go on). This caused a lot of upset yesterday and when I was in customer services there were quite a few families complaining about this as they have not changed their printed maps and so a lot of people had been queuing up for up to 45 mins only to be told they couldn't go on the ride.

I would say very little/nothing for the 15 month old to do apart from sit on lap on carousel or play on beach if safe to do so. Yesterday there were hundreds of parties of school kids and a lot of them decided to play on the beach/lagoon pool despite the fact that it was for young families only. The staff did nothing to stop them and many were running wild in the pool fully clothed. My DD aged 4 was knocked over twice and hurt her knee and DS (2) knocked over once. Despite complaining to staff 3 times they still did nothing although kept saying they would. In the end DD was too frightened to play in there after being knocked over for the second time.

Many parents with young children were upset that they have removed the very small area that the children used to have and it really is no longer suitable for families with small children.

ash6605 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:21:34

Hmm I now have mixed feelings about Thorpe although that was on our shortlist! Dont want 15mth old to be bored, and although my 8yr old likes "big" rides my eldest isn't a fan of rollercoasters!
I'm wondering if Drayton Manor may be a better option? I see it has a thomas land and also a zoo which all 3 dc's would love! I'm hoping to find somewhere that's close to sone other attractions so we could make a couple of days of it!

Sidge Fri 15-Jul-11 13:26:55

It's pretty tame compared to Alton Towers and Thorpe Park, but we love Paulton's Park.

Plenty of rides for younger children, and some for a 12 year old too (but admittedly not quite as racy as AT/TP). Also animals, birds, a little train ride, play areas and picnic spaces.

If you want to make a few days of it there's tons to do around there as well as you're on the edge of the New Forest.

MugglesandLuna Fri 15-Jul-11 19:34:49

We like Drayton Manor (although avoid Thomas Land in holiday time).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now