Talk

Advanced search

A day out in Wimbledon with toddler and baby?

(10 Posts)
TwoAndaHalfNeurons Thu 23-Jun-11 21:42:33

I would like some advice from any MNetter who has been to Wimbledon with a ground ticket before:

My DP is lovely, and a tennis geek of the highest order. He has been working his backside off lately due to horrid deadlines, and has decided that he's taking Friday off and the whole family is going to Wimbledon. The plan is to get there and queue to get a ground ticket, then walk around leisurely from court to court.

The family consists of us two, a 5 month old baby and a 2 and a half year old.

Are we bonkers, or is this workable?

N01 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:48:56

hmm. I think that you should aim to give your DP the chance to go and see matches for himself - often you can see a match only by leaning on a wall and standing, or nosying over people's shoulders. Prob fine with baby but suspect your toddler is going to get bored pretty pronto. You can do picnic stuff with him/her eg Henman Hill, or other areas have tables in the shade etc, but it's going to be of limited interest at that age.

tbh it's not the most family-friendly venue and if there was a chance eg for your DP to get a good court-side seat you can't take the kids in. Finally, the day's play goes on a long time now and there are always seats available after eg 4/5pm as people leave the grounds and you can often then buy a seat for a small price on Centre Court.

I also wouldn't fancy pushing a buggy around - gets v crowded. Don't want to be negative - you could go for the first bit of the day, then leave him to it?

TwoAndaHalfNeurons Thu 23-Jun-11 21:55:10

No1, very useful info indeed, thanks.

I think your advice to go for the first bit of the day and then leave him to it sounds very sensible.

nancy75 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:56:56

have you checked the wimbledon site - I am not sure you can take very small children in.

nancy75 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:59:17

Babes in arms and children under five are NOT allowed in the Show Courts (Centre Court, No.1 Court, and Courts 2, 3, 12 & 18) - this is from their site. They do recomend you don't take prams at all

Meglet Thu 23-Jun-11 22:03:47

It's really busy and I'm sure it has steps around the courts. Wimbledon is crammed into quite a small space, I wouldn't think it would be much fun trying to get a pram around there.

Alibabaandthe80nappies Thu 23-Jun-11 22:09:00

I really, really wouldn't. There are steps, not enough places to sit down and not much in the way of shade unless you go and hide under the show courts!

Also the queueing will be a nightmare. IIRC you have to go over a big footbridge which wouldn't be easy with a pram.

Far better to let him go on his own, and then leave him with the kids for the day on Saturday while you go and do something you enjoy in peace.

Merrylegs Thu 23-Jun-11 22:09:33

Honestly? You're bonkers! It is a squash and a squeeze. Let him go by himself.

TwoAndaHalfNeurons Thu 23-Jun-11 22:17:40

Mmmh, I am beginning to agree that it is bonkers.

I am perfectly happy for him to go on his own, by the way, as he's done in the past. It was actually his idea that we make this into a family outing (I think he wants to groom our eldest to be the next Nadal).

PrettyPirate Tue 28-Jun-11 13:13:18

I wouldn't go with the toddler, it's too much hassle.
I've been to Wimbledon when my DD was about 7 weeks old and that was fine, managed to see some tennis but it was lovely to just walk around and have a picnic on the hill. Walking around with the buggy was ok, not sure about the queueing and the footbridge as we had the tickets already but I would guess there's a way of getting in with the buggy (wheelchair access?).
But when we went again year later it wasn't enjoyable, running after a toddler = no fun. Now we go without kids, they have lovely day at grandma's and we enjoy the pimmssmile
So yes, I wouldn't recommend taking kids.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: