Talk

Advanced search

I've finally made a decision as to this summer's holiday - Tenby. Ideas for days out please .

(33 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 16:17:41

I'm normally far more organised but nowhere was catching my eye. Anyway have just booked a campsite, Monday - Saturday.

Now 20 years ago I used to live in Tenby but not sure how much its changed, etc with a view to touristy things to do. DD is 10 and has never been.

I know where the nice beaches are and want to take her to Caldey. She's probably too old for Folly Farm. What else is good? Especially if the weather is crap <rememebers last year's holiday from hell in Devon where we come home after 3 days>

tudorrose Wed 22-Jun-11 16:27:42

Love Tenby, my in-laws live near there so we go a lot.

The dinosaur park near Tenby is fantastic, we went at half term and it was good fun. We got there as soon as it opened and it was very quiet so kids went on everything several times. Did get very busy by lunch time though.

Heatherton is good but very expensive.

We usually go on a boat trip to Caldey Island from Tenby in the summer. Its a lovely beach and the chocolate the monks make is yum!

Swimming pool in Tenby is free for kids in the holidays but it does get very busy on wet days and you might have to queue.

Oakwood theme park is great too but not cheap.

But it always rains when we go. Always.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 16:29:16

I have very happy memories of a lovely summer there spent working on a pony trekking farm. Don't think it rained once! Is The Smugglers pub still there? I used to be drunk in there every night!

tudorrose Wed 22-Jun-11 16:30:47

Oh and the Blue Lagoon swimming near Oakwood is supposed to be brilliant but it cost my SIL and BIL over £36 to get in, just them and two small children. It was great but they said they wouldn't do it again!

PGTip Wed 22-Jun-11 16:31:15

We go to Saundersfoot/Tenby every year, if you get Tesco vouchers use them at oakwood and folly farm, love these 2gringringringrin

tudorrose Wed 22-Jun-11 16:33:33

I am not sure but I think it is. I used to know more about the pubs but DD2 and DD3 soon stopped all that.

Must be me with the rain then. MIL always says it was nice the week before we go down. Without fail.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 16:41:04

In that case, please don't go and visit the 2nd week in August!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 16:45:18

I've just been looking at Folly Farm website and it looks great. I think its developed a bit since I was last in Tenby. We'll definetly check that out using Tesco vouchers!

Is Oakwood worth it? From their website it looks quite limited. We live fairly close to Drayton Manor and Alton Towers and I don't think its going to be as good. So maybe not worth it?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 16:47:12

Blue Lagoon looks amazing, we'll definetly head there if the weather isnt so good one day.

failedmother Wed 22-Jun-11 16:47:16

We went to Tenby last year and there was a zoo place with the most adorable wallabies wandering all over the place. DS2 was in heaven. Wish I could remember the name....

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 16:49:37

Was it the Manor in St Florence? It was St Florence I used to live in but The Manor wasn't open then. Anna Rider Richardson has since bought it and opened a little zoo there. Must be quite small though as I've been in the grounds/house before she owned it and never really struck me as been big enough for a zoo.

hellymelly Wed 22-Jun-11 16:57:06

Manor House park (the anna Rider rich one) is better than folly farm i think.Folly farm freaks me out slightly with the aircraft hanger full of vintage rides.The animals are better cared for at manor park too,at least they seem to have better enclosures etc.the cafe system they had last year though was frankly nuts (separate cafes for paying with cash or card,having to go to a totally different place to queue for the food,would have been far worse if I'd been alone with the dds.It was a zoo long before she bought it,but they have really improved it.I haven't been to the blue lagoon but lots of friends rave about it. here is a linky www.manorhousewildlifepark.co.uk/

hellymelly Wed 22-Jun-11 16:58:14

failed mother that is the manor house park i just linked to.The wallabies are really lovely.

failedmother Wed 22-Jun-11 16:58:55

Yep that's it! I nearly smuggled a very small wallaby home in the picnic bag grin

AuntieMonica Wed 22-Jun-11 17:03:44

we're not long back from Amroth, the beaches are indeed fabulous around there aren't they?

the Chocolate Farm at Llanboidy is worth a visit, even just for the freebies grin

we had a different experience of Folly Farm than you, helly.
Both DH and I were amazed at the fab vintage fun fair rides and were overwhelmed at how cheap it was! In all fairness though, we didn't go to the Manor House place, so can't compare.

Bunbaker Wed 22-Jun-11 17:08:59

We went to Tenby for half term week and loved it. All the beaches in Tenby are fabulous. Our accommodation overlooked North beach which is the most sheltered and we had a couple of days being beach bums. We didn't do any of the children's attractions in the area as we have a couple of similar attractions close to home (and OH loathes places full of small children anyway)

We went to Caldey Island - boats leave every 20 minutes. The cafe on the island isn't great so I would take a picnic. We also went to Pembroke Castle which is awesome and great for exploring. We visited Stackpole Quay and Barafundle Bay and Carew Castle and tidal mill.

Parking in Tenby is a nightmare and the middle of town is traffic free during the summer holidays. I would suggest you arrive early and use the North beach car park (£2 for a whole day).

Have a great time

MissTinaTeaspoon Wed 22-Jun-11 17:09:23

We love Folly Farm, we go every year. We've just come back from Bluestone, the holiday village attached to the Blue Lagoon and the pool is lovely, there's also an amazing indoor play area there that you can buy joint tickets for, I'm not sure how much it costs because we were resident but there's a wii room, dance mat, mini golf and huge adventure play area in there.

Manor House is fabulous, really hands on and the cafe is lovely.

If she likes castles, Carew is worth a look.

My dd had a lovely time rockpooling on Tenby beach too.

hellymelly Wed 22-Jun-11 17:14:51

My dds do love folly farm,and we were there a few weeks ago for dd2's fourth birthday,but there is something about that hanger that freaks me out,its like a nightmare...the amplified shrieking... and the rides whirling.. and the dim lighting.Girls don't agree though.They say "we know it freaks you out Mama but we want to go there NOW". I hate the cafe too as the food is chips writ large and you have to eat in the gloom with the shrieking in the background. I did enjoy going on the tiny train ride with my dd though.smile. We are local,well about 40 minutes away,so I am always being pestered into going. I prefer all the lovely animals in Manor House park.

hellymelly Wed 22-Jun-11 17:17:01

Pentre Ifan burial chamber is worth a visit if you like windswept hillsides .Its just the burial chamber,but it is beautifully located. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentre_Ifan

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 17:18:22

Are there any nice gardens near there? I seem to have a memory of some estate/gardens in a little valley a bit north of Tenby?

runningmonkey Wed 22-Jun-11 17:24:39

Is that bosherton lily ponds?

Oh and you can't miss the ice cream parlour in Tenby itself! Yum smile

I also love the walk to skrinkle haven beach from lydstep its so hidden it always felt like it was our own secret beach when we were kds. Not sure if it's still accessible though.

tudorrose Wed 22-Jun-11 17:27:52

Sorry Viva we will be there that week. You will spot me on the beach at Amroth. I will be the one in wellies and raincoat and at least thirteen jumpers, dragging two wet grizzling girls with buckets and fishing nets. blush

hellymelly Wed 22-Jun-11 17:31:35

there is an ancient walled garden along the coast road North of Tenby-i'm trying to remember the name of it,its north of St Brides,South of Cardigan.will ask DH when he comes home if he remembers what its called.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 17:33:51

Skrinkle Haven was shut when I was there I believe, was the year of the great oil slick.

I've found the gardens I was thinking of;

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-colbywoodlandgarden

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-Jun-11 17:34:31

I'm glad the ice cream parlour is still there. Its got some Italian name hasn't it? We'll go there for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now