Talk

Advanced search

London

(5 Posts)
LollipopViolet Mon 20-Jun-11 11:38:44

Right, me and a friend have decided we're going to have a day in London next month. We both like shopping, even if it is just the window variety smile I'd also like to have a "treat", a nice (but not overly expensive) lunch maybe, or afternoon tea? Where should we go. and what day travel card would we need for the Tube to get us to all the touristy bits? I've been to London a few times with other people, she's never been, so where should I take her to make her first visit memorable?

I've done the Eye, Sealife and Madame Tussauds, so personally I'm looking for something a bit different from this visit, hence wanting to do the shopping side smile

Awomancalledhorse Mon 20-Jun-11 20:49:27

If you're just going to just the touristy bits a zone 1&2 travel card (think it's about £6?) should do.
What day are you thinking of? A fri/sat I would recommend Borough Market (near London Bridge tube) for foodie bits & a lovely venison bap for £7, covent Garden is a bit pants for shopping atm, but is nice to walk around.
Obv. best shopping recommendation is usual Oxford/Carnaby street!
If you're going late July M&M superstore (yes the chocolate!) is opening a 4 storey(!) superstore in Piccadilly Circus.

Awomancalledhorse Mon 20-Jun-11 20:51:47

http://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/ Patisserie Valerie has a few stores around London.
If you're getting tea & a cake each it comes to about £14, but it's lush (as are the men who work there)!

Rosietheriveter28 Mon 20-Jun-11 20:53:04

Keep an eye on Londonist for things that are happening when you are visiting (might have to look fairly close to the time) They have a range of sections including cheap things to do, special events that weekend etc plus hidden gems. I live in London and love it - always look there when I'm at a loose end.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Tue 21-Jun-11 22:15:38

Liberty and Regent Street/Carnaby Street for shopping, or John Lewis and Selfridges plus Marylebone High Street. If you do the latter, you are in the right place for The Wallace Collection for coffee and culture. Covent Garden or nearby has Joules and The White Company now plus a nice little Muji, tiny Cath Kidston, Urban Outfitters etc. Massala Zone do a quite nice lunch menu or there are lots of places on Wardour Street off Oxford Street - and in Soho generally.

The National Portrait Gallery is nice and there's the crypt at Saint Martins for a coffee in nice surroundings, although it does get v busy. You could then do a bit of tourist walk past Number Ten and into Saint James' Park, even up to the Palace - it's a nice walk and there are some good touristy photo ops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now