Talk

Advanced search

Things to do if /when it rains in Cornwall...apart from the Eden Project?

(12 Posts)
harrietlichman Mon 13-Jun-11 22:12:18

We are going to Looe in two weeks with a four and six year old - can anyone suggest things to do when the inevitable rain comes? Would love to spend every day on the beach, but can't see it, somehow!

cjbartlett Mon 13-Jun-11 22:14:15

My dad just used to out wellies and macs on us and take us to the beach anyway
go to polperro
it's lovely there

bilblio Mon 13-Jun-11 22:33:45

Having done The Eden Project in the rain, I'd say Don't. We did, It was chocka, we got drenched getting from the car park to the project and there are huge areas of it which are outdoors. Also in hindsight the humid tropical biodome was the worst place to try to dry out. grin
Okay the day we went it really did lace it down all day, but it meant we couldn't see more than half of it.

The day after the rain we found a leaflet in a tourist information place about Rainy days in Cornwall.

I thought there'd be a link somewhere.

bilblio Mon 13-Jun-11 22:38:52

I highly recommend getting splash suits too. We get one a couple of sizes too big for DD so they'll last a few years. It meant DD was fine in the rain, and the early morning dew. She was in her element splashing in all the puddles.... we just needed adult sized versions too to protect us from all her splashes!

harrietlichman Tue 14-Jun-11 07:28:08

Many thanks - I'll make sure I pack waterproofs and wellies (and pray for a little sun!) I am just worried about spending a fortune on indoor activies if the weather isn't good - but it's true, rainy beaches if you are dressed properly can be fun.

Bunbaker Tue 14-Jun-11 07:31:14

bilblio is right. The best time to see the Eden Project is on a nice day when everyone else is on the beach. It is a fabulous place and you need nice weather to enjoy it properly anyway.

PestoCaffeinisto Tue 14-Jun-11 08:25:11

From Looe, you can easily drive back up to Plymouth and there you could...

go to the Aquarium for the day
or
go ice skating at the Pavilions
or
go swimming
or
boat trip on the Sound

Or you could hole up for the afternoon in a pub with cream tea somewhere (take activity books for the dcs to keep 'em occupied).

bilblio Tue 14-Jun-11 11:02:14

We found a very nice pub overlooking the beach at Newquay which had a kids soft play area.

The ladies toilet also had fantastic views over the beach and sea. smile

harrietlichman Tue 14-Jun-11 11:49:18

cream teas/pub ideas sound great!

Bunbaker Tue 14-Jun-11 17:25:26

Newquay is the other side of Cornwall from Looe. Bit of a long drive to go and sit in a bog grin

Tenebrist Tue 14-Jun-11 17:58:54

We were near Looe last year and were lucky to only have one real rainy day. As the others said, we reserved Eden Project for nice - but not spectacularly hot - weather, as it was so lovely wandering round the outside gardens.

On that one rainy day we went first to Carnglaze Caverns, which is very close to Looe. It was actually quite magical wandering round the 'enchanted dell' afterwards in the rain, but it helps to have good raincoats. After that I'm afraid we capitulated totally to capitalism and went to the Trago Mills shopping centre and bought some outrageously discounted clothes.

harrietlichman Tue 14-Jun-11 21:56:46

thanks tenebrist - hadn't heard of this place, will definately keep it in mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now