Talk

Advanced search

Legoland windsor - any top tips and how old to go on the Dragon ride?

(12 Posts)
JackiePaper Fri 03-Jun-11 22:00:15

DS is lego mad, been wanting to go for ages, so we are taking him on Sunday for his birthday (i know it will be heaving!!) Any top tips to help us enjoy the day, this is a once in a lifetime thing. Also I hear the Dragon ride is scary but the minimum height is only 1 metre. Will it be ok for ds (7) and dd (4.5) - they liked the troublesome trucks and buffalo coaster at Drayton Manor, but not sure if this one is scarier?

Thanks in advance smile

JackiePaper Fri 03-Jun-11 22:29:57

also do you think it's worth getting a q-bot thing?

ta

JackiePaper Sat 04-Jun-11 09:03:34

Bump

BornToFolk Tue 07-Jun-11 13:28:26

How was your day Jackie? We're taking DS (3.7) for the first time tomorrow and I was also looking for top tips and recommendations.

Did you go on the new submarine ride? I'm most excited about that! grin

caz05 Tue 07-Jun-11 14:24:26

We have been to legoland recently and my son who is 5 went on the dragon coaster. There are 2 though a smaller one and then the more scarier bigger one. My 5 year old loved the bigger one and we went on it twice. It is not super scary just has a bigger drop and probably quicker then the smaller one. I am sure both your kids will love it.

As for the q-bot I would say a waste of money. They are really expensive and you have to get one per person. I have never been tempted to get them due to the extra costs and I guess if you go at a weekend and are expecting it to be busy you will be prepared to queue.

When we went at the beginning of the season the new sub ride was not open yet so I have no experience of that.

As for tips they say it is best to work your way from the back of the park to the front but we have always been out of season to avoid the busy periods to have not tested this theory. It is also very hilly so be prepared for some tired legs. Although our son is 5 we have hired one of the buggy's that are available (I think they are £10) and we use them to store our lunch/bags on and then he jumps in when he gets tired so we avoid having to carry him.

Hope you have a good day

LillianGish Tue 07-Jun-11 14:28:09

I think best tip is to arrive in goodtime. Park opens at 10, but you can go through the ticket barriers and hang out by the shop from 9.30am - arriving at this time really helped us to get ahead of the crowds when we went earlier this year.

BornToFolk Tue 07-Jun-11 17:18:04

Good tip about the buggy Caz, thanks. Can you take your own buggy in? We've stashed ours in the loft but I can see it would be handy to have tomorrow.
I was going to ask about picnics. Is there anywhere to leave a picnic or can you get back to the car easily?

We are local-ish so should be able to get there nice and early. I'm hoping it won't be too crowded tomorrow as midweek and term time but the fewer the queues, the better.

Ruthiebabes Tue 07-Jun-11 22:16:18

We went yesterday.. on an inset day so thought it would be quieter. It was heaving!!!

After queuing for 40 mins for dragons apprentice (in a relatively short queue!!) we went and got a q bot. We then booked our time in for the bigger rides and went on the smaller, less busy rides whilst waiting for our time slot. We definitely managed to get on more rides this way.. but it cost £60 for the four of us!! Most of the big rides had queue times of well over an hour.

My 4.11 year old loved the Dragon!! Not scary, but a few steep drops.

My boys loved it and havent stopped talking about it.

Enjoy!

Ruthiebabes Tue 07-Jun-11 22:19:28

Borntofolk.. we brought a picnic and put it in a locker (£1).

There are plenty of places to sit and eat. You can take your own buggy.

Have fun!

Notquitegrownup Tue 07-Jun-11 22:21:56

We split the difference and got 2 q-bots between 4 of us. That way ds1 and I queued for something whilst ds2 and his dad used the q-bot to get on a ride quickly and go on something else, then we swapped over and the other pair fitted in two rides, whilst the other two queued.

It meant that we only went on one or two rides together as a family, but we did have lots of fun catching up between rides and comparing notes.

Don't forget the pirate show at lunchtime too - that was a highlight for our boys.

Fuzzywood Tue 07-Jun-11 22:27:16

Aye aye Captain Birdsnest! Sorry, the Pirate show is DDs favourite bit of the day, worth getting there for this early. The submarine was apparently very good too (DH took DD while I fed the baby), really long queue though do get there early. For little ones the balloon ride, fairy tale brook and the old fashioned carousel are good. Also the water area is great, take spare clothes and a towel if your DC is like mine and gets soaked.

BornToFolk Wed 08-Jun-11 18:32:36

Aye aye! grin
We had a great day. Decided not to take the buggy in the end and I'm glad we did as DS ran everywhere all day, because he was so excited, and only started to flake at about 4pm.
We got straight on to almost every ride, hardly any queues anywhere.
Even the rain didn't spoil it, we just went on the water rides and got wetter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now