Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

West End Show for 8 year old girl?

(22 Posts)
crazygracieuk Mon 14-Mar-11 11:56:29

I want to take my dd and a couple of friends to a West End show for her birthday early next month. It needs to be a weekend matinee as I have 2 other dc who need to be looked after my dh.

The Wizard of Oz seems to be really booked up so I was thinking Wicked or Mamma Mia instead. Which would you go to? How scary is Wicked?

Thanks in advance

NoWittyName Mon 14-Mar-11 14:49:36

Don't know prices etc. but Lion King is FANTASTIC and is truly aimed at children as opposed to something kids will enjoy but which also has some rather 'adulty bits' (if you know what I mean).

Joseph is also great, but I don't know if it's still on.

Whatever you go to...enjoy!

Hulababy Mon 14-Mar-11 14:50:56

Mamma Mia
Lion King
Mary Poppins
Grease (stage show is not as adult themed as the film iirr)
Joseph and his technicolour Dream Coat

going Mon 14-Mar-11 14:52:11

My daughter saw Mama Mia last year with Brownies, she was 8 at the time, and loved it. This year they are going to see the Lion King.

Ooopsadaisy Mon 14-Mar-11 14:56:02

Is Hairspray still on?

Lizcat Mon 14-Mar-11 15:30:58

Mamma Mia is great, but also look locally for touring versions of shows. Three tickets to to see touring Joseph in Bournemouth less than one ticket to see Wicked in the West End.

EdwardorEricCantdecide Mon 14-Mar-11 15:33:20

Cats is great

and if you get a seat in stalls they come up the isles and climb over chairs etc kids love it.

i also second lion king, i'd still love to see it but it never tours and can't afford london sad

shemademedoit Mon 14-Mar-11 21:25:58

I wouldn't recommend Wicked: it doesn't move too quickly and I don't think my kids could sit through it. It's good: but the ideas are more adult (I don't mean naughty! I mean just in life-lessons).

Keep trying Wizard: any seat in the circles would work, and some may become available.

Shrek also opens shortly: I'm sure the previews must be happening soon.

Otherwise: Mama Mia: great: especially if they know the songs, and Lion King.

What about Legally Blonde? Sure the life-lesson/ideas and some jokes may go over their heads, but it's bright, colourful, fast-paced, and there's a dog. My kids love that stuff. It's also just won loads of awards.

OR: Any of the "big" long-running musicals are a good bet for getting your money's worth, but I'd probably try to fill them in on the stories/plot/songs beforehand: i.e Phantom and Les Mis are amazing re songs and set BUT an 8 year old wouldn't follow much if it wasn't already explained. Good thing with Phantom is that you could show them the film beforehand too, but perhaps some would think it's too grown up?

P.S Don't listen to me too much: we LOVE musicals in our household, and I'm not very good at censorship: my kids know all the words to Sweeney Todd, and the youngest is 7... blush

shemademedoit Mon 14-Mar-11 21:30:46

P.S: Just checked: Shrek opens for previews 6th May, and I'm pretty sure Lion King/Cats/Mary Poppins/Joseph aren't running.

shemademedoit Mon 14-Mar-11 21:31:34

Opps! Lion King IS running. I got reduced tickets on groupon once. Also Brandalley did a promotion recently too. x

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 14-Mar-11 21:35:36

Wicked is brilliant, took dd last year when she was 8 and she adored it. Its not at all scary really and the staging is spectacular. I get goosebumps everytime I hear the overture.

This year she wants to see Legally Blonde. I saw it last year and it was such fun, but you need to be comfortable with Gay & European and a line about mastubatory emissions. It is very glossed over though.

Mamma Mia is a little more awkward as the entire plit revolves around a girl not knowing who her father is. Could lead to awkward questions.

Lion King is fantastic too.

Hairspray is touring, as is the SOUND OF mUSIC. Mary Poppins is no longer on.

Whatever you do don;t go to Love Never Dies, it is rubbish.

crazygracieuk Tue 15-Mar-11 12:38:56

Thank you everyone - lots to think about. I'm surprised at the number of recommendations for plays which are based on movies that are not aimed at kids (eg. Legally Blonde)

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 15-Mar-11 13:50:58

Legally Blonde was televised at 5.30pm on a Sundy afternoon not long ago!!!!

I was shocked but dd watched it. Also the stage show version is also milder than the film. Lots of livel energetic dancing, LOTS of pink and two cute dogs. I would say that Legally Blonde the musical is more innocent than Mamma Mia.

BeattieBow Tue 15-Mar-11 13:53:55

my daughter went to see Billy Elliott and really enjoyed it. She is just 8 - it was her 8th birthday party present too.

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 15-Mar-11 13:57:03

Billy Elliott is wonderful and there are young children in it but for me at the moment the liberal use of the f word is my barrier for dd. Everyone has their own boindaries I guess. I know someone who took their 8 year old to see Priscilla. Again a great show, I never laughed so much in my life but lots of f**ing and blinding and much more in your face references to sex and gay sex.

bitbitchy Tue 15-Mar-11 14:01:51

I can't recommend The Lion King enough. It is not too babyish for an 8 year old, it is a very sophisticated show, an amazing spectacle.

Kandinsky Tue 15-Mar-11 14:06:01

Another vote here for Lion King. Alternatively we took DC's to see Wicked and my somewhat nervy 10 year old loved it as did we.

BeattieBow Tue 15-Mar-11 16:40:56

is there lots of effing and blinding in Billy Elliott? I'm shocked - my mum took my dd to that.

2plus2more Tue 15-Mar-11 16:51:43

Another vote for the Lion King here. Saw it 10 years ago when it first opened and am going again in a few weeks. Would happily take my kids (5&3), my younger sisters (12&18) and anyone in between (or over!) It is a fantastic show - and I really do mean "SHOW"! The music, the costumes, everything - fantastic - not just a story on stage - a real showpiece!

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 15-Mar-11 20:58:33

Google the lyrics to Solidarity from Billy Elliott.

crazygracieuk Wed 16-Mar-11 21:10:50

Thank you everyone.
I'm really grateful for all of the replies.

pinkteddy Tue 16-Aug-11 17:17:18

Has anyone seen Jersey boys? Would that be suitable for an 8 year old?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now