Talk

Advanced search

Goodwood Festival of Speed - July 2011 - come and talk to me about it...

(8 Posts)
SoftStrongAndVeryLong Thu 06-Jan-11 12:10:26

Hiya

I would like to take DH to Goodwood this year. He loves all things motor sport, and it would be a birthday treat for him instead of our usual hotel weekend away. However, I know nothing about it!

Do you have to go all weekend to see everything, or would one day be enough? Do you need to get grandstand tickets or does a general ticket give you enough to do? Is it a pain to get to - do we need to stay nearby the night before?

Any and all help happily received!

GrungeBlobPrimpants Thu 06-Jan-11 12:32:31

My DH has been with other family petrolheads grin

He usually goes for 1 day which works out well. He does the journey there and back in a day (it's approx 2-3 hours drive) so it's a long day but easier/cheaper than finding accommodation.

I think he got grandstand seats last year and had mixed views about it - useful as you have 'guaranteed' seat but he actually likes to be standing at the front by the barriers for the action iykwim

twirlymum Thu 06-Jan-11 12:46:48

DH would love to go. Any idea on prices? I'd love to surprise him with tickets for his birthday.

SoftStrongAndVeryLong Thu 06-Jan-11 12:47:38

Thanks Grunge! That's just the kind of thing that is useful. So does your Dh think he gets to see all he wants in just the one day?

SoftStrongAndVeryLong Mon 10-Jan-11 13:13:10

Anyone else been to Goodwood?smile

MarniesMummy Mon 10-Jan-11 13:22:58

Hi OP, I am not a petrolhead, crs come in colours for me and to be honest cars are just a bit boring.

That said DP and DD1 love them. I've been to both the Festival of Speed and the Revival numerous times with all 3DC's in tow.

The FOS is really for petrolheads but I wouldn't want a grandstand seat. Half the fun is going in the pits (if that's what they're called) and checking out the cars and then getting a spot really close to the mile or so of drive that the cars race up. They go one by one so you can have a good look. (There are plenty of big screens around so you don't need to miss anything). There's also a great field with bands, a childrens activity area (well several actually) and childrens entertainers). It's good fun (and remember I really can't be a&*ed with cars).

However, the revival is better! All the fun of car racing but everything is is period costume. Everyone who works there is in costume and in role, and they even employ actors to do little scenes (you may not even twig that they're actors until the end of the act).

Both are over 3 days as you know. The revival is more forgiving if there's bad weather. but my advice would be to see if you can see which cars and drivers are going on which day at the FOS and make sure you take wet weather gear. It's a long day if you're soaked.

HTH

GoldenVoice Tue 11-Jan-11 20:49:10

My DP went last year. He had a grandstand ticket and said it was a great day. I will ask him and see if he has any tips for you. Are you going to go as well?

CMOTdibbler Tue 11-Jan-11 20:59:48

We've been a few times, and though I don't really like motor racing, had a great time.

Getting in and out isn't too bad - you need v comfy shoes, and wet weather gear/sunhats as appropriate. Take folding stools so you can sit around up the track.

We did the preordered hamper thing which was fun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now