Talk

Advanced search

Beach day out from London, by train - where other than Brighton?

(15 Posts)
jennifersofia Fri 19-Aug-05 00:13:32

I like Brighton, but it can be very crowded. Any other places that are possibly a little less busy? No amusement arcade would be an additional benefit.

MarsLady Fri 19-Aug-05 01:11:15

Leigh on Sea!

bighug Fri 19-Aug-05 01:38:59

Broadstairs. really loved it when went last August BH Monday. Sandy beach, quaint, not kiss me quick at all, and a small lovely old wooden funfair (e.g. 3 rides or something) on the beach

tigermoth Fri 19-Aug-05 08:04:37

definitely second broadstairs. It is compact, very picturesque and if you want to get away from the main, more crowded, beach, you can find acquieter beach in the next cove along.

I have heard Deal and Sandwich are good as well, but haven't been to these places yet.

Kayleigh Fri 19-Aug-05 08:13:00

Went to Frinton-on-Sea this week and it was absolutely gorgeous. No amusement arcade. Not even an ice cream hut on the beach. So no nagging kids all day. You need to take loads of food and drinks though. There is a high street with shops at one end of the beach. We went to the other end near the toilets (resonably clean for a beach). There is also a vast expanse of green behind the beach so you can picnic there and not get sand in your sandwiches !

Chickyboo Fri 19-Aug-05 08:34:10

We're thinking of going to Whitstable it has nice food and pebble beach.

jennifersofia Fri 19-Aug-05 10:47:17

Thank you thank you! These all sound tempting, now I just need proper weather ... I will def. give these a go.

aloha Fri 19-Aug-05 10:49:19

Rye is nice. Whitstable is fabulous, but stony beach. Ds loved throwing stones into the sea though.

hmp Sat 20-Aug-05 21:59:17

West Wittering is v nice - sandy, ice creams and coffee available, good loos. May be a bit further - 1 hr 10 on a good day from South London.

aloha Sat 20-Aug-05 22:07:17

Had a lovely day today at Whitstable, inspired by this thread - so thank you!

Can I also recommend Camber Sands. A really fantastic huge sandy beach, and, if you pick your spot, not too chavtastic (not my phrase!)

robinia Sat 20-Aug-05 22:41:09

Also Greatstone-on-Sea and Littlestone-on Sea, just along the coast from Camber - still sandy but not so far to walk across the dunes.

robinia Sat 20-Aug-05 22:42:03

Sorry didn't see the train bit - don't think there is a near station for them.

aloha Sat 20-Aug-05 22:42:35

Forgot the dunes! Nearly had a stroke dragging ds and my own unfit body up them...

purplelizzy Sun 21-Aug-05 19:20:49

I agree with Broadstairs, the main beach isn't that big but it's nice and there is also a park nearby. Lots of nice eating places too. Margate has a bigger beach but it's not such a pretty town and a bit rougher round the edges. Ramsgate is pretty good too, again not as pretty as Broadstairs and it's quite a walk from the train station to the beach but it's less crowded there.

Cam Sun 21-Aug-05 20:03:10

Rye - may be nice Aloha but it has no beach !
It did used to be one of the Cinque Ports but the sea went out and left it high and dry several hundred years ago (except for a river it is landlocked)

Tips for Camber Sands - don't go in the first carpark (huge dunes to climb over) but turn next right off the main road and carry on to the end of the road where there is another carpark and direct access to the beach (with a few dunes further on for shelter) and some amenities (cafe, toliets, beach shops etc)

I'm always threatening to have a mumnet meetup at Camber one of these days!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now