Talk

Advanced search

Interesting "weekend dad" article in Grauniad

(8 Posts)
UnquietDad Sat 05-Sep-09 17:04:05

here

The comments are interesting. "Apparently 90% of break-ups of couples with children are initiated by the mother." Is that true?! Quite eye-opening if so, given how often we are told (and how often it seems on here) that it;s the father who wants to leave.

BerylCole Sat 05-Sep-09 17:06:30

Where on earth did they get that stat from? Poppycock.

UnquietDad Sat 05-Sep-09 17:08:20

I don't know. Maybe I'll ask. It could be all about how one interprets "initiating", I suppose...

Anifrangapani Sat 05-Sep-09 17:15:46

Sounds like one of those cases where women get sentenced for murder because they take flack for ages and then blow up, but men get away with manslaughter because she nagged.

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Sat 05-Sep-09 17:15:54

It does depend on what they mean. A husband having an affair and a woman finding out and asking partner to leave or leaving themselves could be considered as initiating I suppose.

UnquietDad Sat 05-Sep-09 17:17:47

Well, the commenter seems to mean it in the sense of whether or not you stay in an unhappy marriage "for the children".

therealbanksy Tue 08-Sep-09 14:19:41

It's a shame that a really excellent article has been eclipsed by your focus on the (inane) reader comments. I identify with a lot of what he has to say as I'm also a dad with two young children from a previous marriage and a new one on the way.

DaddyJ Sun 11-Oct-09 21:08:51

It's a heart-warming piece, apart from the last 2 paragraphs.
Did he need to turn something personal into a political statement? Spoilt things a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now