Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Electricians Out There?

(6 Posts)
BlueFlotsam Mon 10-Aug-09 13:33:26

Hi

My son is 20, passed GCSE's and AS with no problem, has decided he wants to train as electrician but does not know which course would be best and cant find any useful help at the college!

I dont know how to do link but this is the college website courses.nwkcollege.ac.uk/courses.php?school_id=18#electrical_and_electronic_engineering_43

Can anyone suggest which course would be best. He plans to continue working full time and doing evening course until he can secure an apprenticeship.

thanks if anybody can help....

lljkk Mon 10-Aug-09 15:21:15

I can't advise, but this will bump for you.
Congrats on your son's career choice, every family should have at least one electrician and one plumber .

BlueFlotsam Tue 11-Aug-09 06:52:05

Lijkk thanks.

There are 3 courses and one in particular seems to be better than the other so he plans to enrole during his lunch break today. So fingers crossed!

lljkk Wed 12-Aug-09 20:14:43

DH is an Electrical Engineer; he says that the courses you linked to are all related to his field of expertise (electronics, rather than training to be an electrician). He says that your son needs to be trained to meet IET (also called IEE) regs.

Look at this PDF for guidance on the right training path, I think your son needs to find an apprenticeship (may be hard to get a place) rather than go on a college course.

lljkk Wed 12-Aug-09 20:17:38

Oops, doh, just reread the OP better, realise that you are already working on the apprenticeship. I don't think there's any harm in the electronics courses, but they may only be supplemental rather than really helping him learn much about his ultimate trade.

BlueFlotsam Tue 18-Aug-09 03:00:39

Thanks lljkk,

He has the names of a couple of companies and is in process of contacting them.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now