Talk

Advanced search

Petrol heads this way please...

(16 Posts)
pigswithfludontfly Thu 16-Jul-09 21:50:23

Completely gender stereotyping and sticking this in the dadsnet section....

We're after a new car. Have a big fat and powerful but old BMW 5 series which I now hate.

We want:
- a 6 cylinder engine (OK dh wants that) for smoothnes
- four doors
- a decent amount of room but it needn't be huge. Enough space for two kids in case we have another one.
- nothing too commonplace (another dh request, for example he thinks there are loads of 3 series bmws so doesn't want one! Unlikely a very mainstream car would do it for us e.g. a Ford or Vauxhall)
- sunroof (dh again...LOL)

Hate Mercedes brand image so no mercs allowed! I quite like Audis but not sure.

Budget - £17k to £19k if we really loved it.
Any ideas?

DadInsteadofMum Fri 17-Jul-09 11:49:14

No idea - refuse to conform to gender stereotyping - but then that may be why I am on Mumsnet.

Domokun Fri 17-Jul-09 12:05:41

I'd go with a Japanese car. Ultra-reliable, less common than German marques, and good value. Honda are less common, but fantastic cars.

foofi Fri 17-Jul-09 12:07:15

Audi A7 is coming out soon - dh has his eye on one. He currently has an old A6 which we've been v pleased with.

foofi Fri 17-Jul-09 12:08:15

Sorry - didn't look at the budget! blush

geordieminx Fri 17-Jul-09 12:29:27

Nissan Quashai - neighbour has just got a top of the randge one - tis lovely - glass roof, built in Sta nav, heated seats etc.

Alfa?

Lexus 220

Saab areo

VW Tourag

hebdenhedgehog Wed 16-Sep-09 15:34:41

How's the decision going?

I reckon you could have a look at...

Honda Accord

Alfa 159

Subaru Legacy

If none of these are right, then prob best for a more mainstream choice such as Audi, Lexus, Discovery, Volvo, etc

Personally, I'd have the Alfa! (The Hondas are a bit 'reppy', and the Subaru although fantastic isn't the most economical car on sale...)

Good luck, and let's hear how you get on?

claricebeansmum Wed 16-Sep-09 15:37:26

Wouldn't touch an Alfa with a barge pole...unless you don't mind shoddy build quality, failing electrics....I could go on. I once bought an Alfa - heart over head - and it was one of the worst decisions ever.

VW or Volvo if you don't want the garage on speed dial.

hebdenhedgehog Wed 16-Sep-09 16:40:35

Whereas we've had four with few problems!

I forgot to mention Jaguar, which might be a viable alternative to the bmw

LordPanofthePeaks Mon 21-Sep-09 13:33:21

why not a skoda? Running on bio-fuel??

therealbanksy Mon 21-Sep-09 15:28:55

I recently got rid of my E Class Merc estate (which I loved by the way, but then I'd never drive BMW) and replaced it with a VW Touran because we've got a third child on the way. I'm surprised by how much I love it. I went for the DSG gearbox and Nappa leather upholstery to make myself feel a bit better about it. It's got poke. The driving position is lovely. Can't fault it. You can get certain models within your budget. I don't know why people go for Audi by the way. . it's just VW (or Skoda) with a bigger pricetag.

ToothyChris Sun 18-Oct-09 19:40:50

Check out the Skoda vRS (or just RS in some markets). VW/Audi technology and quality in a Skoda badged car, for much less money than the VW/Audi versions. Granted it's not a 6-cylinder but it's much faster than most people expect (we like understated). And as for the size of the boot.....well, let's just say we would have to be careful if we ever took it to France, just in case a family of asylum seekers tried to hide in it.

SexyDomesticatedDad Mon 19-Oct-09 14:10:13

Jaguar XF if you can stretch the budget a bit or get one of the older ones with higher mileage - they are fab fab fab fab fab would deffo tick all your boxes. DW is just as keen as I am to drive it.

ToothyChris Mon 19-Oct-09 19:26:37

I meant to say Skoda Octavia vRS (since there is also a Fabia vRS)!

2010Dad Tue 20-Oct-09 14:24:53

I drive a Skoda Octavia vRS TDI and can recommend it. Very quick (170bhp for the diesel, 200bhp for the petrol) and massive boot as ToothyChris says.

My wife says she always gets lots of attention when she's out in it!

Poledra Tue 20-Oct-09 14:32:30

I used to have a Saab 93 Sportwagon and I looooved it. OK you probably don't need the estate version, but my DB has the saloon and has no complaints either (he's on his second one). I'd still have that car, but the advent of my third child under 5 and the mahoosive car seats moved me into an MPV sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now