Talk

Advanced search

Any junior rugby coaches about ? ... need some advice!

(3 Posts)
ruggermum Mon 15-Jun-09 09:16:21

Sorry to nick your thread title, Insanity, but by a spooky coincidence I want to ask about Rugby.grin

DS is quite good at Rugby and harbours dreams of playing professionally. Is there anybody on here who knows about such things and can advise me?

DadInsteadofMum Tue 16-Jun-09 18:55:57

How old is DS and does he play for a club. What league do they play in. Are there other clubs who play locally that play in a higher league? do they have tryouts. Once you get to the higher amatuer levels (i.e. one of the national leagues or a regional first) then they usually have contacts with a higher club that they act as a feeder for.

richarda Sat 24-Oct-09 21:37:53

How old and where are you based?

Don't know if you are in a club or not. If not find a few local clubs and visit to find out how they compare - a bigger club will offer more development opportunities as they will be able to turn out a better squad(s). A professional approach to coaching will also shine through.

This page might help www.rfu.com/TheGame/ChildrenInRugby.aspx

If he wants to play professionally then you need to get involved with a local pro teams junior arm. Many of them run skills courses during school holidays.

My son plays at Old Albanians who can turn out 4 teams at his age group. The team is closely associated with Saracens and he has done some skills clinics with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now