Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know why this board seems so bloody basic?

(206 Posts)
EricL Sun 16-Sep-07 01:23:41

I guess it is something that has been bothering me for a while but i have never asked. Why is it so behind the times guys?

I don't want it to turn into an 'all-singing-and-dancing' flashy ad-filled nightmare like some others - but surely they can up-date it a little so we don't have to type stuff like smileys in and other basic things that are too numerous to mention?

I know there is some discussion topics occasionally about the changes that people would like to make to it - but i am confused as to why it actually hasn't been updated to move with the times before now.

There doesn't seeem to be any presence of staff/moderators either - apart from deleted posts. (Not that it is sophisticated enough to show who they are anyway....) It just seems very strange to me as i work for other websites that are not the fanciest out there - but are technically miles ahead of this.

Finance?

giraffeski Sun 16-Sep-07 01:27:29

Message withdrawn

EricL Sun 16-Sep-07 01:36:43

Nope - i'm here to stay and you can't make me leave.

Anymore pish like that and i shall plug my fingers in my ears and say "LA LA LA LA LA - IM NOT LISTENING".

giraffeski Sun 16-Sep-07 01:38:05

Message withdrawn

mamama Sun 16-Sep-07 01:38:31

We like it the way it is. MNers don't like change wink

mamama Sun 16-Sep-07 01:40:12

See - x-posts with giraffeski and we both say the same.

serenity Sun 16-Sep-07 01:49:01

What more does it need? It's fine the way it is imo. I post on other forums with loads of fancy bits'n'bobs and most of the time they never get used anyway.

Mumsnet doesn't have 'staff', it's more intimate than that (hell, even if it isn't, that's the way it feels) That's why we selfmoderate - we know Justine,Abby, Olivia and Tech (apologies for whoever I missed there - it's late!) so in the main we behave.

This is MN, this is the way it is. We love it and criticism will be taken personally.....grin

susiemj Thu 20-Sep-07 16:57:48

I like MN precisely because it doesn't have all that rubbish. It's clear, easy to use and does the job. Not to mention that it's utterly addictive.

kittylouise Thu 20-Sep-07 17:00:19

I can't bear all that flashy crap on other sites. I like mumsnet just how it is.

(Luddite)

Furball Thu 20-Sep-07 17:01:24

and to have pages and pages of stuff on one thread is tedious at least we can quickly scroll to where we want to read.

MrsBadger Thu 20-Sep-07 17:01:45

We are not luddite or backward, we are pared-down and minimalist. It's about the message, not the medium.

and fwiw, have you ever tried viewing an all-singing all-dancing type forum on (eg) a modile phine, a PDA or on dialup? Or using 'speaking' software for the visually impaired?

giraffeski Thu 20-Sep-07 17:02:08

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Thu 20-Sep-07 17:02:50

gah, modile phine mobile phone

it's true, bf impairs your typing

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChippyMinton Thu 20-Sep-07 17:04:11

Is it basic? I've not been anywhere else
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

RustyBear Thu 20-Sep-07 17:04:45

Eric - you weren't around when MN did decide to have a few changes - it was only a few colour changes & moving things around a bit & there was uproar - people complaining they couldn't find staff, or hated the new colour etc - eventually it returned to almost the same as it had been before.
Mumsnetters don't do updating.

fryalot Thu 20-Sep-07 17:05:35

I know why it seems so basic to you

Tis because you are an arrogant twunt who thinks he is better than everyone else we like it simple

wink

OrmIrian Thu 20-Sep-07 17:07:40

Who cares. It works. I hate silly flashing tickers and such guff. Some of us came here to escape all that <<<<humpph>>>>

southeatsastras Thu 20-Sep-07 17:07:44

that day was so funny rustybear wasn't it. slowly throughout the day it went back to how it was at first.

i like the site, it's very user friendly

Blu Thu 20-Sep-07 17:10:25

Seriously, I believe the format of Mn is what enables discussion to flow - I hate sites where posts are in boxes. And too many features become gimmicky and replace proper communication.
I am waiting for the novelty of the cross-out feature to wear off as it is gettinga little predictable predicatable and cliched cliched.

Blu Thu 20-Sep-07 17:11:18

and furthermore, i clearly don't know how to use it

Eric, if you want all "that other stuff" you are in the wrong place. MN Towers often consult us on thing we'd like done/changed/updated.. and we like it how it is. It isn't "behind the times".. this is all it needs to be!

IMO moderators should be there to do what is the action definition of "moderate". Why do we need to see who they are? You sound like you'd be at home on Babyworld hmm.. they have all the stuff you're banging on about

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now