Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Home time - what time?

(13 Posts)
TheHerdNerd Sat 04-Aug-07 13:33:38

What time do you dads get home from work? How does dinner time work - we really want to have family dinners, but I'd have to be home really early to manage that, surely?

meemar Sat 04-Aug-07 14:04:24

Not a dad but thought I'd answer you! DH gets in usually about 6-6.30. It's too late for family dinners as the boys eat at about 5.00 (they are ages 4 and nearly 2).

We try to eat together at weekends if we can though

Nbg Sat 04-Aug-07 14:13:45

My dh does 2 different shifts. Either 7am-3pm or 2pm-10pm.
Whichever one it is, we will have a meal together. Be it lunch or dinner.

Dinner time is normally between 5 and 6pm otherwise its too late for the kids.

Kbear Sat 04-Aug-07 14:20:47

We have lots of meals together but not always dinner - either breakfast at the weekend or dinner or lunch depending on who is working when. It's not easy for most families to eat together every day but once a week is nice, seems like a nice family event then.

WideWebWitch Sat 04-Aug-07 14:29:25

I'm not a dad but will answer for my dh. I work ft from 8-6 four days a week so dh collects both children from after school club and nursery then they all get home about 6pm. Both children will have had supper at respective childcare, dh and I eat together about 8ish.

EricL Sun 05-Aug-07 21:16:04

The Missus gets in anytime from 7 - 8.30ish so we eat then but the kids eat about 5.30.

Family dinners only at the weekend for us.

Quattrocento Sun 05-Aug-07 21:18:29

Not a dad but a mum. I get home anywhere from 7.30-12.00 which is too late for a family meal in the week. So we make sure we have breakfast lunch and dinner as a family over the whole weekend. What else can we do?

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 05-Aug-07 21:27:23

again, not the man, but the cook but only because I get home first (to be fair he cooks the roasts most sundays, and sometimes prepares a lasagne for me to pop in the oven the next day)

I work three days a week, and get home about 5.30 - 6 on those days. DH gets home at 6.30 - 7.30 or later depending on traffic

We eat together at 6.30. If he is not home then he joins us half way through.

Kids are 11 months, 7 and 18

I do stuff in advance for the days I am working - stews, meatballs ready for adding to spag, that kind of thing, or we have something quick - pasta and sauce, toad in the hole, etc. On the other days we have kibabs, or spatchcock chicken roasted over potatoes or something that takes a bit longer.

TheHerdNerd Sun 05-Aug-07 22:19:27

NSF - thanks for the reply!

Is 6:30 not very late for a young child to eat?

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 06-Aug-07 11:22:17

Well.... she has had food at nursery at about 4.00 pm. It is about as soon as I could get her fed once we are home unless she had nothing once we were home and went to bed. She doesn't usually make it to bed until about 7.30 - 8 pm anyway - I have tried to get that earlier, and it very very rarely works, whether it be a weekday or weekend

fizzylemonade Wed 22-Aug-07 21:21:23

My DH who I love love love comes home a 5.50 every night, we have 2 boys 4yr and 15months. They eat 4.30-5pm so me and DH eat later when the boys are in bed.

I am very lucky, he used to be home at 5.30 and when we just had ds1 and I would have dinner on the table at 5.40 (10 mins to wash hands, change from work clothes)

I am SAHM. Now we share making dinner on weekdays, also make sure we have family round the table for all meals at weekend. Weekdays breakfast is in the kitchen!!!

policywonk Wed 22-Aug-07 21:25:24

DP gets in at about 6.30 most nights, and we all have dinner together then (me SAHM, two sons, 4 and 2). Kids straight in bath and into bed by 7.30/8.

Manticore Sat 25-Aug-07 22:31:16

Generally at around 1900 - just in time for storytime. DW works from home (I am a lucky man, and know it) and my job is to (when I am in the country) to be home to read the bedtime story (or three) at least 3 days out of 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now