Talk

Advanced search

Home time - what time?

(13 Posts)
TheHerdNerd Sat 04-Aug-07 13:33:38

What time do you dads get home from work? How does dinner time work - we really want to have family dinners, but I'd have to be home really early to manage that, surely?

meemar Sat 04-Aug-07 14:04:24

Not a dad but thought I'd answer you! DH gets in usually about 6-6.30. It's too late for family dinners as the boys eat at about 5.00 (they are ages 4 and nearly 2).

We try to eat together at weekends if we can though

Nbg Sat 04-Aug-07 14:13:45

My dh does 2 different shifts. Either 7am-3pm or 2pm-10pm.
Whichever one it is, we will have a meal together. Be it lunch or dinner.

Dinner time is normally between 5 and 6pm otherwise its too late for the kids.

Kbear Sat 04-Aug-07 14:20:47

We have lots of meals together but not always dinner - either breakfast at the weekend or dinner or lunch depending on who is working when. It's not easy for most families to eat together every day but once a week is nice, seems like a nice family event then.

WideWebWitch Sat 04-Aug-07 14:29:25

I'm not a dad but will answer for my dh. I work ft from 8-6 four days a week so dh collects both children from after school club and nursery then they all get home about 6pm. Both children will have had supper at respective childcare, dh and I eat together about 8ish.

EricL Sun 05-Aug-07 21:16:04

The Missus gets in anytime from 7 - 8.30ish so we eat then but the kids eat about 5.30.

Family dinners only at the weekend for us.

Quattrocento Sun 05-Aug-07 21:18:29

Not a dad but a mum. I get home anywhere from 7.30-12.00 which is too late for a family meal in the week. So we make sure we have breakfast lunch and dinner as a family over the whole weekend. What else can we do?

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 05-Aug-07 21:27:23

again, not the man, but the cook but only because I get home first (to be fair he cooks the roasts most sundays, and sometimes prepares a lasagne for me to pop in the oven the next day)

I work three days a week, and get home about 5.30 - 6 on those days. DH gets home at 6.30 - 7.30 or later depending on traffic

We eat together at 6.30. If he is not home then he joins us half way through.

Kids are 11 months, 7 and 18

I do stuff in advance for the days I am working - stews, meatballs ready for adding to spag, that kind of thing, or we have something quick - pasta and sauce, toad in the hole, etc. On the other days we have kibabs, or spatchcock chicken roasted over potatoes or something that takes a bit longer.

TheHerdNerd Sun 05-Aug-07 22:19:27

NSF - thanks for the reply!

Is 6:30 not very late for a young child to eat?

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 06-Aug-07 11:22:17

Well.... she has had food at nursery at about 4.00 pm. It is about as soon as I could get her fed once we are home unless she had nothing once we were home and went to bed. She doesn't usually make it to bed until about 7.30 - 8 pm anyway - I have tried to get that earlier, and it very very rarely works, whether it be a weekday or weekend

fizzylemonade Wed 22-Aug-07 21:21:23

My DH who I love love love comes home a 5.50 every night, we have 2 boys 4yr and 15months. They eat 4.30-5pm so me and DH eat later when the boys are in bed.

I am very lucky, he used to be home at 5.30 and when we just had ds1 and I would have dinner on the table at 5.40 (10 mins to wash hands, change from work clothes)

I am SAHM. Now we share making dinner on weekdays, also make sure we have family round the table for all meals at weekend. Weekdays breakfast is in the kitchen!!!

policywonk Wed 22-Aug-07 21:25:24

DP gets in at about 6.30 most nights, and we all have dinner together then (me SAHM, two sons, 4 and 2). Kids straight in bath and into bed by 7.30/8.

Manticore Sat 25-Aug-07 22:31:16

Generally at around 1900 - just in time for storytime. DW works from home (I am a lucky man, and know it) and my job is to (when I am in the country) to be home to read the bedtime story (or three) at least 3 days out of 5.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: