Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lullabies?

(13 Posts)
TheHerdNerd Sun 29-Jul-07 23:23:57

Okay, so, we're expecting a child in about a month. Something that I've always loved the idea of is singing my kids to sleep, but I've realised recently that I don't know any appropriate songs!

Do you sing to your kids? What do you sing?

Biglips Sun 29-Jul-07 23:28:17

i used to hum alot when my dd was a newborn till she was about 1, and now she is nearly 3 and still loves the humming as its so relaxing that it makes me fall asleep too zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

TheHerdNerd Sun 29-Jul-07 23:30:58

Does your DH/DP/DO sing to the kids?

TooTicky Sun 29-Jul-07 23:32:14

Different babies like different songs. Dd1 liked Steeleye Span, ds1 liked Bob the Builder and Rawhide, Ds2 Morningtown Ride, Hush little baby don't say a word (mama's gonna buy you a mocking bird) and Postman Pat, dd2 likes Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Nightynight Sun 29-Jul-07 23:39:01

my stepdd used to love Bye Bye Miss American Pie.
My own children would start to cry if I sang it though. Beware if you have musical children, they may not stand you singing to them.

Biglips Mon 30-Jul-07 09:29:35

no dp never sing but now i sing twinkle little star

sanandol Mon 30-Jul-07 12:30:05

To stop yourself going insane, I found that the best things to sing them to sleep where songs that you liked and could sing on a loop. Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah/ Chelsea Hotel/ Everybody Knows used to work pretty well for me and DS (not the most cheerful songs ever but hey, it worked for us!)

Gee72 Mon 30-Jul-07 12:42:59

I don't sing DS to sleep, but do to calm him when he wakes up crying. Just Brahms lullaby on the montor as a bedtime cue.

Several verses of 'Row, row, row your Boat...' do the trick if he's upset/needs to get back off. Or 'You Are My Sunshine'. Bizarrely, 'Chickchickchickchick Chicken' shuts him up too; very wearing to sing though.

Songs with more verses are good as they drive you less insane! There's a nice lullaby on the last Richard Hawley album, 'Who's Gonna Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet' or something like that.

BigGitDad Mon 30-Jul-07 22:08:07

Sanandol is right, sing something that you like, is repetitive and simple, I used to sing MLK by U2. I think singing to babies is very theraputic. Also put music on if you feel like it, I always remember my daughter used to fall asleep to Will Young as she found it soothing. It's alovely feeling having your child go to sleep on you.

Daddster Tue 07-Aug-07 21:48:21

Row your boat with ever-more inventive things:

down the river and if you see a polar bear, don't forget to shiver
to the shore - lion there - roar
down the creek - little mouse - squeak
down the stream - crocodile - scream
over the waterfall - telephone - call
over the weir - public house - the beer
cross the lake - jellyfish - shake

Failing that, try Amazing Grace.

macmama73 Tue 07-Aug-07 22:42:08

My DH always hummed, totally tuneless but DD especially loved it. Both DCs hum sometimes when we are having a cuddling session.

I sing anything that comes to mind. Skye Boat Song. The way you look tonight by Rod Stewart. Traditonal songs like Sleep, Baby, Sleep, Away in a Manger.

I really love Beautiful Boy by John Lennon.

I am a terrible singer, btw and Ds now shouts NO! when I start singing.

macmama73 Tue 07-Aug-07 22:42:38

@daddster
Love the Row the Boat variations!

sleepfinder Wed 08-Aug-07 19:55:20

Irish folk songs,
hymns, christmas carols
beatles songs - Yesterday, Hey Jude (any of the minor key, slower numbers)
Nursery rhymes

and when he's a bit unhappy sing

Oh Dear what can the matter be
Two old ladies locked in the lavatory...

with varying degrees of enthusiasm / fake cockney accents etc depending on whether I'm likely to get a laugh or not really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now