Talk

Advanced search

Baby Names

(5 Posts)
Turbodaddy Mon 18-Mar-19 22:42:58

Hi all,

First time poster.

We are expecting our baby boy next month (actual due date was middle May, but waters/membrane ruptured early so they won't risk letting us past 36wks).

We have a few names we like. I'd say probably 3 names are in the running.

I may be getting annoyed by this more than I should but, 1 of the 3 said names was mentioned to my Wife's mum.

"Urgh no way, that sounds like a dog's name! Hahahaha". (Words to that affect).

🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Obviously yes, the baby will be named what WE want, not what others want but it genuinely has put me off what I thought was a nice name.

I can just picture, if he was named said "dogs name", about how there would be 'jokes' about it from the OHs mum. Not malicious but jokes she'd likely find funny and me not.

What would you do..
Forget that name?
Still keep it as a possible name?

We aren't going for any 'unique' names either, not opposed to people doing so but thats not for us, so that's likely another reason it's irked me a bit..

Thanks all

Finfintytint Mon 18-Mar-19 22:46:17

Fido is a lovely name. Don’t let anyone tell you different.

RaspberryBubblegum Mon 18-Mar-19 22:50:25

Is it Benji? I liked that name when younger and my mum said it sounded like a dogs name. Now it makes me think of a dog so won't be naming my DS that now grin

newroundhere Mon 18-Mar-19 22:55:14

If you like it, keep it on the list. People get used to names quickly anyway. It might be something you take into account when you're making your final decision but no need to chuck it out now.

Congratulations by the way!

Turbodaddy Mon 18-Mar-19 23:10:18

Thanks for the reply.

Now you've said that, I remember my Step sister naming her daughter. She had picked 2 names both of which not many people took to. But she was named 1 of those 2 names and it now seems like the perfect name for her. Odd, but reiterates your point well I think.

Thanks again, for now the name will stay in the list!

Thank you - excited and anxious!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: