Talk

Advanced search

Concerns over a 15 month old

(8 Posts)
Carlope Sat 02-Mar-19 13:32:18

Hi all,

Ill start of with the concerns that i have for my 15 month old boy.

No matter how much i try not to think about it, but we might be going down the ASL route.

No eye contact, only looks when im changing the nappy. For about 1 min. But very rarely.

Not a single word, he says mama, but thats only a babble. He has no clue what it means.

He doesn't like to be huged, he pushes away the whole time, unless youre rubbing his back, then he is calm.

No gestures, no waving hands, no clapping... Nothing.

Very hard to get his attention, and when you do its for a few seconds he is off doing his business.

Very rarely responds to his name. But only to look at you for a second. But like i said very rarely.

He doesnt come to you when you come back from work. He smiles, but makes no contact and when you try to pick him up he runs away.

He only started to walk recently so he loves trying to get and pick everything. Climbing onto a couch etc.

We dont give him to watch anything much but when we do he is like in a diff world all together. He will not respond to anything and he could watch all day id say. But like i said tv is big no no.

Very picky with foods. Etc.

We play with him daily show him things and try to see his reactions etc. But its always the same, the only real change was him starting to walk. But at this stage i find it really frustrating, no matter how much we talk, play cudle with him. He seems like his not interested at all...

I raised mt concerns with our ped, but she said not to worry, as he will have a check up in couple of weeks, but we are having concerns since about when he was 6 months.

Seriously myself and mises are very frustrating to the point where we dont know what to do.

A 7 month old shows more affection...

Anyone, with any tips or advise?

I dont feel like our ped givea 2 cents when we talk to her, as her response is always we will wait we will wait...

Do we wait? Or do we act?

skyshine Sat 09-Mar-19 20:30:36

Hi, sounds familiar. Our son started walking at 18 months. Picky on food, non verbal at 4, was hard to get his attention (still hard, but has improved), no eye contact, but again, getting better.
You probably have your suspicion already, our's is to be formally diagnosed with ASD soon.
First total shock, then anxiety to 'fix' it and now we think with my partner that we wouldn't want him to be 'normal' after all. I don't think you need to get frustrated with your ped, as it's not illness and they can't do much.

FiveYearsOlder Sat 09-Mar-19 21:15:29

I'm sorry you're going through such a stressful time.

As skyshine said, it's not an illness and there is so much joy in every child
However, it CAN sometimes be diagnosed earlier. Google 'early intervention autism'.

My friend is going through potential ASD issues but it may be sensory processing disorder
Either way, he's getting help on the issues he's behind on. Granted, it was after he turned two.

If you've got serious concerns then are there any family members or friends who agree? If so, can they help put your case for early intervention across stronger?

I went through concerns when my daughter was younger, until around 14 months. She blossomed once she could start moving. She still has little issues that I worry are related to sensory processing or autism (like head banging, etc). She is now very interactive (21m) and much more sociable and confident than a lot of other toddlers her age but she is a deep thinker too. She doesn't ever smile on demand - she frowns of asked to be a performing monkey. She also can give mixed reactions when my husband comes home.

I'm going to press for more intervention due to a few issues. However, I do worry and read into things a lot.

You sound like a really hands-on dad and you're doing so much to engage etc. I would be the worst person to ask if he shows signs etc. My childminder had to reassure me I was overthinking certain things.

BUT get some second opinions from friends or family you trust that can be honest. Then push for the help you need. Don't be fobbed off. It may be too early to tell about ASD etc but they can by now surely give some intervention if your friends and family also think you may have caused for concern.

You may be back in a few months to say that once he mastered walking he was a changed boy (my daughter was). But it's obvious you want to do all you can in case the wait and see isn't that way.x

Carlope Mon 11-Mar-19 10:24:59

Hi all, thanks for your replies,

I disagree with peds that they cant do much. After all they look after our children when it comes to development, so if i have concerns. I shouldn't be told that we will see him when we want it. This is where i get frustrated...

Now on another note, i really appreciate you replying to my thread.

I think early intervention does help regarding ASD and can significantly help. But how do i seek one if my ped wont help and wont see us? Would visiting ASD centre help?

Jackshouse Mon 11-Mar-19 10:26:44

Are you in the UK?

skyshine Mon 11-Mar-19 22:24:36

Regional autism centre would certainly help - you'll get information, some support and most importantly you'll meet other parents with autistic children. At this stage it's you, parents, who need support, as understanding autism takes months.
Unfortunately, there will be many more instances when you would feel frustrated, so I would save nerves as much as possible. We were referred to speech and language therapist 16 months ago and we have yet to see one.
If you feel urge to do something, I'd recommend a book 'an early start for your child with autism' by j.rogers. There are many other literature about early intervention. From our experience I would add to engage the child on his terms, devote maximum time you can and show as much affection as possible - they might not respond back (as they don't know how to), but they do feel it a lot.

SinkGirl Wed 22-May-19 16:43:52

How are you doing OP?

This was me a year or so ago, except my twins were 18 months at the time. One was diagnosed with ASD in December (and other things), the other twin was diagnosed in February this year.

The last year has been so hard. But early intervention from SALT, portage and occupational therapists (minimally) has made so much difference. Of course they’re still autistic. They still can’t talk. But there’s so much more interaction and communication. They’re making so much progress.

If your doctor isn’t listening, see another. The sooner you can start trying to help them, the better.

There are books on early intervention too which you can start yourself.

SinkGirl Wed 22-May-19 16:44:22

Yep, that book mentioned above is the one I’d recommend too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »