Talk

Advanced search

Ambivalent to news of pregnancy

(15 Posts)
Stroller15 Sat 10-Feb-18 03:03:49

It sounds completely normal to me too. My DH didn't really seem that interested in my pregnancy either until our little ds were here and he was smitten. I think scans help to make it more real for men.

Good luck OP and congratulations!

cittigirl Sat 10-Feb-18 02:18:15

Totally normal...imo. I went through the mill trying to fall pregnant. When it happened I was just like you.

VimFuego101 Sat 10-Feb-18 01:56:11

I don't remember DH skipping around the room when I got the positive test result tbh; I was worried about money, worried about the baby, worried about my unstable work situation. It doesn't reflect on the type of father he is. Other posters are right, you only hear the worst of it on social media. When I brought DS home, I just remember the first week being a lovely sleepy haze of sleeping when he slept, and finally being able to sleep on my front again. It honestly wasn't bad.

CollyWombles Sat 10-Feb-18 01:46:22

Of course it's normal to feel the way you do, having a baby is a massive life change. If you weren't worried at all, that would be concerning.

My DH and I are trying to conceive. I have 4 of my own already, he doesn't have any of his own. I know I will worry when I do fall pregnant, was it the right choice, can we really manage, what if we can't cope and end up splitting etc etc. All natural and normal when faced with a huge hypothetical thing becoming a reality!

I also know, however, from having four already, how amazing and special it is, having children in your lives. Watching and helping them achieve, seeing them go from babyhood, to toddler, to child and in my case, my eldest is about to be a teen. They have brought much more depth to my life than there ever was before them. A meaning as such. For example, all the mistakes and unpleasant stuff that's happened in my life, now has a reason and meaning: so I can help guide my children.

Honestly, hang on in there and try to avoid reading the bad stuff. The internet always gives a very one sided view.

PancakeInMaBelly Sat 10-Feb-18 01:45:38

I'll be completely honest: when I found out I was pregnant with my planned second I did a uturn and regreted it. I felt guilty about the effect I thought it would have on my first and regretted the decision. I 100% loved no1 way way more than no 2 while pregnant with no2....until no 2 was born that is!

Im SO glad I had no 2 it was the best decision ever.

Pregnancy is weird.

SmallBlondeMama Sat 10-Feb-18 01:38:54

I was full out depressed the first time I found out I was pregnant, terrified the second (I knew what I was getting into) and overjoyed with the third smile My husband was happy about the first two and flat out said "I'm NOt happy" about the third lol. But obviously our 3 munchkins are the best thing in our lives and we wouldn't change it for the world. It's just always a big shock when you find out your life is about to drastically change I think. I feel like my whole life would be empty and pointless if I didn't have my kids.

PancakeInMaBelly Sat 10-Feb-18 01:38:28

I agree about online whinging. Why post that you had a pretty ordinary content day?

"My baby is latching well, gaining weight and sleeping through the night" would have you accused of being an insensitive goady fucker online, although in real life people often do talk about their easy contented babies!

MrsDilber Sat 10-Feb-18 01:02:22

My DH was happy after we conceived our first born, but it really didn't kick in till she was born. It was like a switch had been flicked on and he was head over heels. It's a strange thing for some men, it's not ”happening" to them in the way it is to the mother.

AlpacaLypse Sat 10-Feb-18 01:02:22

I have an ongoing health condition, I went online to find a support group for it. The first one I found - and the second too - were extremely depressing. Everyone had had big issues for years and years, it was ruining their life, total horrors.

Dispirited, I came on here and posted in Chat. Whereupon about six people popped up and said they'd had this, don't worry it nearly always goes away again. And one very wise one said that no-one ever posts on a health forum to say HEY I'M BETTER NOW!! , they only ever post to have a bit of a whinge.

ReggaetonLente Sat 10-Feb-18 00:59:31

I was the same and I’m the pregnant one! It’s a huge, huge life change and a lot to get your head around. Especially in those early weeks where there’s no bump, no physical proof of what’s happening (apart from morning sickness etc, which is no bloody fun). Must be even odder for you as the bloke!

Once we saw the baby at the 12 week scan, started to tell friends and family and I started to show, I got a lot more excited.

SnowGoArea Sat 10-Feb-18 00:58:39

Totally normal to feel a big pang of "oh crap I'm not sure I want this after all" for men and women alike, even with planned babies.

Has there been a scan yet? Presumably not at 9 was. That can be a turning point to see it there on the screen. Time too. It's a big change and has only been a few short weeks so far to get your head around it.

Have you mentioned your feelings to your partner? I would recommend doing so - it's a time to pull together, not apart. Not in an 'all about you' way, more in the spirit of honesty and openess, and to see how she's feeling about it all.

AlpacaLypse Sat 10-Feb-18 00:54:19

Also don't forget that happy and fulfilled parents are far less likely to post online about their lives than grumpy disillusioned ones.

PancakeInMaBelly Sat 10-Feb-18 00:50:33

In real non facebook/tv/movie life, this is a completely normal reaction!

AlpacaLypse Sat 10-Feb-18 00:50:29

Couldn't read and run. I'm female and looking at grandmotherhood so my take is may be a bit invalid to you - however I do remember being far more frightened about it all when it was finally happening than I had ever expected when we were blithely chattering about babies in an indefinite future tense. I hope you and your partner can work through this.

Goingkrazy Sat 10-Feb-18 00:44:09

My partner in 9 weeks pregnant after a year of us trying to conceive. However rather than feeling excited about the news, I am completely ambivalent. This has come as a complete surprise to me and I fee guilty and ashamed. The more I think about this the less certain I feel that this is what I want, and the more I read about exhausted and disillusioned parents, the worse the situation seems.
This is not at all how I thought I would feel and the guilt is eating me up.
Will this feeling pass? Has anyone else been through this? Did it pass? Did it not?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: