Advanced search

Advice needed

(10 Posts)
Cerealking123 Wed 15-Mar-17 09:48:18

I am very concerned about the welfare of my nephews. Their home is in a state of disrepair that i feel is detrimental to their health. Piles of rubbish in the front room, mouldy food and unwashed dishes piled up in their kitchen area. Plates covered with mouldy food all over the front room which makes their living area stink. Over flowing rubbish bins too. Rubbish all over the floor. The children's room is awful, too. Holes in the walls, mould on the windows, their beds don't have any sheets or covers for their duvets. The boys sleep on an old divan bed base together with a mattress where the springs are coming through. The bathroom smells overwhelmingly of urine and is disgusting. The toilet is black. They do not have tooth brushes for the boys. I'm positive that the house is unfit for human habitation and i am extremely concerned. I am convinced it is a health hazard for anyone to live there. Let alone primary school age children. They have a baby on the way also. I worry for the health of a new born in a place so filthy.

The parents are often verbally abusive. Swearing at the boys and I've often heard them putting them down in extremely adult ways. "f-ing this, f-ing that". They are often subject to violent threats from the parents, too (although i don't think they actually are violent).. threats of "punches in the face" and being "thrown down the stairs". They shout at them, belittle them, and humiliate them. I worry for their health, their mental health and their safety.

I am reaching out to you because i cant think of a way to deal with this. I have spoken to them in a friendly way, I've asked my mum to speak to them, I've told them flat out that it's bad and they should be ashamed... Nothing is making a difference.
They are now having another baby and i am genuinely concerned for the health of the kids.

My question is. Would i be right to speak to social services? Maybe they could help them. I don't want to see the family split up at all. But i really feel something NEEDS to be done.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Wed 15-Mar-17 09:52:14

Yes. Please call ss now

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Wed 15-Mar-17 09:53:06

Persinally i would be inclined to go and help out with a massive one off clean and see how they coped after that. If it went back to the same state I'd take further action.

You could contact the school or social services or even possibly the health visitor if they are having another baby.

misscph1973 Wed 15-Mar-17 09:56:05

Yes, you need to speak to social services. You have tried, but it had no effect.

SookiesSocks Wed 15-Mar-17 09:57:12

I dont think helping the parents by cleaning is the solution tbh.

Call ss the verbal threats of violence are more than enough reason to.

zippey Wed 15-Mar-17 09:58:39

A clean up would be just a plaster over a would. And it's not just the cleanliness which seems to be the problem. Being verbally abused isn't pleasant.

It's great you have a keen eye on this. If you think you've done all you can in speaking with them, maybe social services is the next step. The children don't have a voice and SS are there to look after their interest.

I think they would try and help the family unit, but it may be that the family is split in the best interests of the kids.

myoriginal3 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:02:13

Definitely Social Services.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:07:44

Is their house council /ha?
Def phone ss. Kids like that rely on people like you to phone on their behalf. You are also failing them if you don't.
Contact their school. .

Cerealking123 Wed 15-Mar-17 15:40:50

Thanks for all your advice. I think the ONLY option open to me is to take things to social services. I can't see another way. My hope is that they will help.them as a family, and maybe scare them into actually taking steps to.improve their parenting.

GrassIsJewelled Sat 08-Apr-17 21:01:41

Please tell ss.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: