Talk

Advanced search

Masculinity

(7 Posts)
JamesTiberiusKirk Fri 06-May-16 12:13:41

Not normally a fan of the Guardian, but I found this article quite interesting. Got me thinking about my own identity and the kinds of issues men face.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/06/men-discuss-what-it-means-to-be-a-man-today-grayson-perry

Anyone got any thoughts?

GunnyHighway Sun 08-May-16 08:05:14

My only thought regarding Grayson Perry is that he's a massive prick. As for masculinity it takes all sorts really I don't need to be in touch with my feminine side to be a better person

BreakingDad77 Mon 09-May-16 15:34:57

I would agree it takes all sort though we all come from quite different starting points with family and peer role models to what society expects and what the consumer world projects.

There is some quite toxic masculinity e.g DV, everyday sexims but there is equally toxic acceptance of it.

BreakingDad77 Mon 09-May-16 15:35:24

sorry i should add expectation of it.

VoyageOfDad Tue 10-May-16 19:36:38

Not normally a fan of the Guardian

They all say that ! There's no shame in it you know.

Can't say I've ever really questioned my own 'maleness' , I yam what I yam , as Poppeye said.

There'll always be the alpha types and the competition that goes with it because women seem to go for that largely, it's impossible to shake the evolutionary hard wiring.

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Wed 11-May-16 15:46:20

I didn't really get his problem with Bear Grylls. His programmes have men and women on and I can't say I've seen much from him that is a proponent of things being for men only or anything like that. Isn't showing how men and women can both do survival stuff a positive thing to avoid gender stereotyping? The other thing if you actually watch them is that a lot of the problems are more ones of communicating and keeping going when it's hard, which can equally be applied to other situations. (He does come across as a bit of a smug arse though).

VoyageOfDad Wed 11-May-16 19:01:35

I guess he's uncomfortable with the whole , 'real men drink their own urine absailing down frozen waterfalls whilst being attacked by vampire bats' brand of manliness.

I'd argue there's a place for everything on the spectrum. But I can see GPs point in relation to men who can only see a narrow narrative of what maketh the man. I can see how masculinity in areas of former industrial activity like mining might struggle.

I think I sit probably equidistant between Bear and the GPs wearing of outrageous frocks and bubble gum make up !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now