Talk

Advanced search

Annxiety about ex-partner moving abroad

(4 Posts)
Mikeryan Mon 01-Feb-16 00:44:18

Hello,

I'm a guy, I found this link through your statement regarding another site; I felt this would be a good place to share my concerns.

I was in a relationship for several years, and we had a child in the summer of 2014. The relationship didn't last, and his mother currently has custody; I have regular agreed visits. However, there is some talk that my ex-partner might want to take our son abroad on a permenant basis, to Italy. She is British, and has no family connections there, her main reason for wanting to go there is simply personal choice.

I'd be devestated by this: our son is the most important person in my life, and I've build my life and career plans around joined care. I also feel that the effect of this potential move is damaging my mental state of mind.

Can I ask for advice here? Has anyone experienced this, and experienced other case of this maybe?

Finally, my ex-partner is not the "baddy," and we are on generally good terms. But I'm worried.

VoyageOfDad Tue 02-Feb-16 06:46:32

are you on the birth cirtificate ? she can't just up and move , it's child abduction and you could have her arrested.

You can get a prohibited steps order to stop your child being moved if you're worried.

you need to see a solicitor.

SavoyCabbage Tue 02-Feb-16 06:53:18

As Ive lived abroad myself, I know a few people that have left behind their dd's fathers 'to start a new life'.

Obviously it depends where the place is but all the talk of FaceTime and going/coming in the holidays is unrealistic if it's far away. Real life gets in the way.

We found that we ran out of things to talk to with our family. You do t know the same people. You aren't t going to the same places.

HelpfulChap Tue 02-Feb-16 06:55:32

No advice mate but good luck. Hope it works itself out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now