Talk

Advanced search

Kids starting school

(5 Posts)
chrisox Tue 01-Sep-15 12:20:57

Hi

First post here, to be honest I am not quite sure if this is the right place!

Anyway I am having trouble emotionally as my oldest starts school on Friday and it's making me sad. I am finding it hard to talk to other dads about this because it's not really talked about much. I have looked online and it's mainly women talking about kids growing up etc and upsetting from a maternal point of view but I am really struggling with him going into the "real world" and out of the happy under 5, free from the struggles of life phase!

I just wondered how other dads deal with this? Half of me wants to have another child which I never thought I wanted!

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I couldn't find any other forums etc!

Thanks

theelephantknownasnell Tue 01-Sep-15 13:41:09

I'm a mums so not the point of view you want but I know my dad found it difficult when I started school, he was sad that he felt he was losing me, that others would influence me and that a cartain innocence was gone.

chrisox Tue 01-Sep-15 14:38:47

Thanks for the reply, yeah that's exactly what I am feeling even thou he's still so young. I think it just dawned on me all of a sudden that this doesn't last forever!

We have two kids and my daughter has just turned 3 but while they are babies and toddlers etc you don't have time to think about it!!

GotABitTricky Tue 01-Sep-15 21:02:19

My youngest just started school, and I felt a little like OP,
but embrace the change and see how happy the kid is, revel in their excitement of learning new things every day.
Routine is key, and mine even dressed up in school uniform last weekend she was so happy about school.

Be proud of the kid and tell them so daily. Parents tend to worry about the jump to school far more than the kid, so fear not.

inastew Fri 22-Apr-16 11:30:18

6 month old thread, but.....

Seeing kid happy face lining up in playground and skipping in to class, can suggest kids not worrying as much as Dad about school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now