Talk

Advanced search

Men Going Their Own Way

(16 Posts)
30somethingm Sat 25-Oct-14 00:54:58

A couple of my mates talked for the first time to me tonight about the MGTOW movement. I cannot believe that young men are subscribing to such a dated, bigoted philosophy in the 21st Century - I got quite angry.

I've just Googled it and read a bit of these two sites:

http://www.mgtow.com/forums
http://www.returnofkings.com

Is this really a growing movement, or are these "mates" a tiny minority? I'm horrified as these are young, professional, successful guys who have no reason to be angry as far as I am concerned.

PrettyPictures92 Sat 25-Oct-14 00:59:34

I read some of the comments on the first like and was both disgusted/shrug if shoulders type thing. Women have some pretty outspoken men hating feminists. Why shouldn't men be meninists? (Shhh, that's a real word ok!)

And yes, I know this is dadsnet but it came up in active and I was curious grin

PrettyPictures92 Sat 25-Oct-14 01:00:03

*link, not like

30somethingm Sat 25-Oct-14 01:09:01

I think elements of the ROK site suggests more than some women hating men. Emotional abuse is encouraged, expectation of sex etc is advocated with no emphasis on the fact that sex obviously involves two people and two people's pleasure etc. My "mates" were arguing passionately in favour of things like secret vasectomies, leading women on in order to get sex, that women hit "the wall" at 30 and single women over 30 must be avoided for all but meaningless sex, that women who pursue careers will end up not being loyal etc etc. I couldn't believe my ears, and neither my eyes when I read this bigotry. It is safe to say I won't see them for a while, but they are part of a circle of former uni mates so it is very sad for me.

Feel free to post PP92 - female and male perspectives are welcome.

AcrossthePond55 Sat 25-Oct-14 02:15:13

I think you need new friends, old uni mates or no. Even if you don't subscribe to their idiocy remember "lie down with dogs, get up with fleas".

There will always be people who hate the opposite sex. And that's what theses attitudes are, hatred. But luckily, they are usually in the minority.

Just remember, though, that as a real man it's your job to let them know that they are neanderthals. Just as I would let a man-hating woman know that she is one, too.

CuttedUpPear Sat 25-Oct-14 07:08:13

I can't follow your links as I am on my phone but it sounds horrifying.
I grew up in the eighties when there seemed some real hope of sexual equality. Unfortunately as the years go by this seems like an ever diminishing ideal, in fact it is looking pretty hopeless now sad

Roonerspism Sat 25-Oct-14 07:19:07

It seems to be for the utter losers, doesn't it? A rejection of normal society.

Some of the crap made me laugh my head off. "Society discriminates men...". We live in an age where women are stoned to death for speaking out of turn. When in even in the most developed countries, earning potential is shafted once you reproduce. Where you can shoot a woman 4 times and go to jail for 10 months. Where legally, you can spend hours of every day watching women being abused on the Internet, in the most vile, inhumane and even racist ways and it is seen as acceptable.

I feel it's never been harder being born female in the world and I worry daily for my daughters about this.

PrettyPictures92 Sat 25-Oct-14 09:47:50

If I was to come across men like this there would be nothing to do but smile and take my pretty little head off somewhere else. You can't challenge people like this, they just don't believe anything but the things they're spouting. And after all, what would I understand about it being a woman?

On the other hand it makes me happy to see that some people still believe in equality. I've neither time nor patience for both men and women who think they're better or worth more than the other sex, simply because they have a penis/vagina.

Anyone attempted emotional abuse with me, or assumed that once I'd turned thirty I was only good for the occasional shag, would be kicked to the kerb faster than they could say "it's not fair!"

I would hope that men who think this were in the tiny majority because some of those views are quite frightening. The leap between emotional abuse, anger and aggression towards females and treating them like objects to physical violence, rape and murder are not that far. The same can also be said for some men hating views that I've seen expressed by the occasional feminist with extreme views too.

Oakandtheash Sun 26-Oct-14 21:48:13

I've only ever heard of them on MN.

They sound like religious zealots.

RunningDaddy Mon 27-Oct-14 18:56:31

Wow. Never heard of this before. Sounds like they're lacking a couple of their own desirable features - Intellect and Character.

'Mericans shrug I'm surprised they don't have a confederate flag on the page too.

Out of interest, what did your mates study at Uni? They having trouble getting relationships and looking for someone to blame?

30somethingm Tue 28-Oct-14 20:59:06

They (the MCGOWs I know) studied a variety of courses and have successful careers. In terms of relationships - they had them at uni, but now in their 30s they seem to just fool around, not wanting to settle down.

I agree there is a fanaticism about this movement - almost like a cult!

30somethingm Mon 15-Dec-14 02:14:24

Lol there is a female version of "game" (originally the misogynist creation by Return Of Kings). Below is an amusing and slightly off topic blog for women in their 30s. Oh dear...

www.therulesrevisited.com/2013/02/female-game-for-women-in-their-30s.html?m=1

BreakingDad77 Mon 15-Dec-14 13:56:03

Brother in his 30's seems to have been 'misogenised' and spouts lots of this type of stuff and how his Alpha personality has got him attractive women where it hadn't' previously, "if a womans not under size 10 it doesn't count" as a conquest supposedly.

30somethingm Sat 20-Dec-14 00:42:57

Lol. I have never gone out with a woman over a size 10, but then I play a lot of sport and have mainly met women through sport, running clubs and hiking etc.

That movement is incredibly s exist though and it is growing. Digging deeper I've found loads of people "follow" it now - mainly professionals including a few of my "mates". I wonder what the impact of this will be from a sociological perspective on society. I doubt these men are happy and fulfilled and taking quite a few "fish" out the sea for women will surely unbalance things too?

BobbyBingoooo Sat 20-Dec-14 13:20:13

In think you probably do start to attract more women if you're all 'alpha' , I kind of see them as verging on the sociopathic end of the spectrum, the ones I've known rarely seem to be content once they've entered a relationship, much more of a tendency to look for the next conquest.

The most successful bloke I know in terms of sheer numbers of previous sexual partners is probably the most unhappy in terms of relationships.

I'm tempted to veer into comments about David Attenbourough documentaries about primates, not sure my hard hat is adequately maintained though.

I think we should have an island somewhere and let all the alphas breed with each other on it and leave the rest of us alone .

30somethingm Sun 21-Dec-14 23:52:42

Reading the "I like MN" thread I think you're wise to not go down that analogy route!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now