Talk

Advanced search

Captains ahoy

(8 Posts)
MrMan Tue 06-Sep-11 02:55:05

On the verge of buying a boat, something small to go for day trips now that the kids are finally big enough to fit into a lifejacket!

Am going back and forth on whether to get a sailboat or a motorboat. Not looking to spend a fortune so will probably be a used, simple fibreglass number either way.

Any opinions on which way to go?

spiderslegs Tue 06-Sep-11 03:23:45

Sail, sail, sail.

Had a 1959 Maurice Griffiths Tidewater, beautiful, beautiful boat.

Go timber.

Sorry - biased.

MrMan Tue 06-Sep-11 03:51:27

spiderslegs envy I would love one of those. however there is no way I could find the time to look after a timber boat. One of my relatives has one, his other half calls it 'the other woman'

I know what you mean about sailing. however the kids are still titchy so am a bit concerned about being able to keep enough attention on them at the same time as messing around with the sail? Also a bit concerned about them around the beam etc.

Grumpla Tue 06-Sep-11 04:54:16

My family had a Wayfarer until we left home and mum dad traded it in for a Laser. Great boat for kids, very stable, can fit loads of them in there and they can learn to help sail it. We only ever managed to capsize it the once (deliberately) although did have some wet-necked moments in high winds grin

MrMan Tue 06-Sep-11 08:01:02

Thanks Grumpla can what kind of model it was? Anything to watch out for? Although I know my way around a boat, this is the first time I will buy one myself...

spiderslegs Fri 16-Sep-11 02:46:57

Ahh, forgot about this thread - I second the Laser - learnt to sail in one - ask away.

GiveMeSomeSpace Fri 16-Sep-11 21:15:32

A friend acquiantance of mine told me that "if it flies, floats or fucks, don't buy it, rent it..."
Don't think I'd recommend would subscribing to the last of those 3.

Don't get a boat, get a friend with a boat.

SybilBeddows Fri 16-Sep-11 21:17:46

sail. you can always put an outboard on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now