Talk

Advanced search

Gentlemen, can I have your opinion on circumcision

(6 Posts)
piano10 Fri 19-Aug-11 16:21:56

My 10 yr old son has a very tight foreskin for which Circumcision is recommended. We got as far as the anaesthetic room and he refused to have the anaesthetic. ( he had a lot of surgery as a toddler, 9 anaesthetics)
We are waiting for another theatre date soon.
How will it affect him at nearly 11 yrs?
How will erections be if I dont go ahead with surgery?
Some parents say wait and see if his foreskins eventually retracts....
..But if i leave it, wil he thank me at 18 yr if he is having problems???

nocake Fri 19-Aug-11 16:27:39

I think these questions need to be addressed to the doctor because we don't know what the problem is that has resulted in circumcision being recommended. Having said that, I doubt it would be recommended by a doctor unless there was a genuine need for it to be done.

piano10 Sat 20-Aug-11 16:10:35

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this procedure at around the age of 10 yrs..??? and could tell me how it felt/turned out.

nickelbabe Sat 20-Aug-11 16:19:21

not talking as a man, but i have a friend who hada tight foreskin, but noone ever knew except him.
it was only discovered when his (now)wife started sleeping with him.
it did stretch,a nd from what i know is now fine.

it obviously depends on how tight it is, of course, but could you discuss the option with your GP? (stretching it by manipulation)

piano10 Sat 20-Aug-11 16:31:01

We have spoken to the GP, and twice spoken to the Urology surgeon who does Circumcisions, and we have tried the special cream to try and thin out the skin and so stretch the foreskin. The cream hasnt worked, and the surgeon says he could just do a small cut in the foreskin to loosen the foreskin but it creates scar tissue and so quite often it needs doing again.

SaulGood Sat 20-Aug-11 16:41:05

DH had problems along a similar line. It actually wasn't a real issue until we met (he was 17) and sex would tear his foreskin causing a build up of scar tissue and a lot of pain. He had a different procedure which loosened and moved back the foreskin. It was done under a local and he was all healed 10 days later. Interestingly, his brother needed exactly the same procedure so maybe there's a genetic component to it. But dh was told that circumcision was the last option to consider. If you've had circumcision recommended, it may be the best route. When making the decision, the option 'what if we do nothing right now' is always worth considering.

My friend had a circumcision for medical reasons aged 10. It was really very uncomfortable indeed and I do remember he couldn't wear any clothes on his bottom half for quite a few days as it was ridiculously sensitive. Obviously he's fine now but he had little choice and he said the repeated infections were really affecting him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now